KJAN News can be heard at five minutes after every hour right after Fox News 24 hours a day!
Keep up-to-date with Fox News Radio, Radio Iowa, Brownfield & the Iowa Agribusiness Networks!
KJAN News can be heard at five minutes after every hour right after Fox News 24 hours a day!
Keep up-to-date with Fox News Radio, Radio Iowa, Brownfield & the Iowa Agribusiness Networks!
(Atlantic, IA) – The Atlantic City Council has a lot to discuss during their regular meeting Wednesday evening, much of which has to do with the FY27 Budget, including proposed property tax levies, the Parks and Recreation Department Budget, and the possibility of establishing a Parks Director Position. In his meeting agenda prepared for the Council and media, City Administrator John Lund said with regard to the FY2027 Budget, property tax levies need to be “Nailed-down.” The meeting at City Hall, begins at 5:30-p.m.
Lund says “The Council will need to adopt a resolution setting the date of public hearing for our maximum property tax dollars for the required public hearing that will occur on April 1st and those specific levies will need to be determined for entry into the Iowa Department of Management’s digital portal so the Cass County Auditor can send out the wildly inaccurate notices on property taxes.

Shown above are the maximum property tax rates for both last year and this year. Lund says this year, a $0.60 increase is scheduled across three levies, totaling an increase of 5.80% in property tax collections. John Lund said also, with regard to the Parks and Recreation Department priorities and staffing, “The Mayor, Council, and public have made it clear they want a Parks Director. The issue why this has not occurred is due to General Fund resource allocation. The Parks Director was eliminated in the late summer of 2023 to expand labor resources, elsewhere. It was considered a “deal.” Lund says “Atlantic can see progress in the areas it wants, those General Fund resources are now available. The City can afford to pay for a Park’s Director at the market rate ($74,700) for a community of our size. I ran numbers on the costs and found this is a sustainable expenditure, assuming the 2% cap on new property tax dollars is implemented, taxable value is not gutted by tax credits and exemptions, and that all future wage growth is tied to this 2% amount or a new revenue source is identified.
“No cost allocation relating to this new position is necessary. This will be paid for by released property tax resources, so this is a simple calculus on if restoring this position to the City labor portfolio is something the Council wants to see.” On that note, the Atlantic City Council will discuss and possibly act on an Order regarding a Parks Director. If they determine it’s time to move forward with re-establishing the position, they will have to approve a motion to direct Lund to post the position.
Other action items on the agenda include:
(Atlantic, IA) – The Cass County Board of Supervisors, in a regular meeting Tuesday, are expected to act on approving the installation of a bench on the County’s portion of the (downtown) Atlantic City Park. The bench would be located west of the monument. In other business, the Supervisors are expected to pass a resolution appointing Deputy Auditor Hannah Richter, and consider (along with possibly approve), the Publication of a Notice to Bidders for the cash rent of County-owned farm land in the southwest portion of the NW 1/4 of Section 15, Grove Township. Bids will be opened at 9-a.m., Tuesday, March 17th, in the Board Room of the Cass County Courthouse in Atlantic.
The Board will receive a monthly report from Cass/Guthrie County Environmental Health Exec. Director Jotham Arber, and a Quarterly report for Cass County VA Exec. Director Mitch Holmes, as well as a regular report from County Engineer Trent Wolken, and other reports, as available.
Their meeting begins at 9-a.m. Tuesday, Feb. 17th, and can be viewed electronically through Zoom, at:
(Radio Iowa) – A massive tree clearing project is planned for the Lewis and Clark State Park in Harrison County, near Mondamin. The D-N-R’s Sherry Arntzen says they closed the park on September 8th over safety concerns after noticing several dead trees. “The examination of 137 representative trees revealed that 99 percent of the park’s predominant species, eastern cottonwood, exhibit crown dieback with ten percent already standing dead,” she says. Arntzen says the trees range in diameter from 18 to 48 inches wide. “Mortality is attributed to over maturity and prolonged drought. Due to these harsh conditions, any tree with one-fourth or more canopy loss is unlikely to survive and classified as hazard,” Arntzen says.
The Natural Resources Commission approved a contract not to exceed one-point-seven million dollars for cutting down and removing the trees. Arntzen says they plan to remove the trees in two phases to improve the safety of the park. “Phase one involves felling approximately 610 mature trees in the campground and high use areas,” she says. “And phase two expands to clearing all hazardous timber within 150 feet of all hiking trails and roads covering approximately 98-point-five acres.” Arntzen says the first phase around the campground is expected to be completed by July. “The successful bidder anticipates being completed in that campground in time for RAGBRAI. So we had no idea that the RAGBRAI route was going to start in Onawa when all of this started back last fall,” she says. Getting rid of the wood from the felled trees is part of the contract.
“They’re going to fell the marked trees, they’re going to grind all the stumps, and they’re going to transport and dispose and burn of all woody debris and vegetation. We do have some brush piles established already that are out and away from our primary use areas,” she says. Arntzen says they have already planted a few trees and will look at the best way to replace trees that are removed. “And we will work with our foresters on appropriate trees to put back in our high use areas that is conducive to the soils that are there,” she says.
The work in the areas that are not high use could extend into March of 2028.
(Creston, IA) – Firefighters from Creston responded early Saturday morning to a report of hay bales on fire at the Creston Livestock Market. Upon arrival, firefighters discovered 11 round bales burning. A second page was made within one-half hour of the initial response (at 12:33 a.m.), requesting additional firefighters for a working fire.
The bales were located against the east side of the brick building, near the train tracks. An employee used a skid loader to move the bales away from the structure and separate them, aiding firefighters in gaining better access to extinguish the flames. Their assignment was completed in about two-hours, but later Saturday morning, firefighters returned to extinguish the bales that continued to smolder.

Still frame image from a video by Dillon Daughenbaugh/CFD, of Creston Tanker 4 single-operator fire suppression unit. (Creston FD Facebook page)
The cause of the fire is under investigation.
(Radio Iowa) – A coach who’s also a member of the Iowa House is proposing an expansion of the time coaches are not allowed to have contact with Iowa students who participate in high school sports. Representative Skyler Wheeler, a former baseball player at Northwestern College, is head coach of the baseball team at Unity Christian High School in Orange City.
“Currently right now in the summer when baseball and softball (seasons) finish, you have a week off where you can have no contact as coaches with athletes,” Wheeler said. “It’s basically in place to allow parents and student athletes to take a trip together. They’re not going to miss any practices or things like that.” That seven-day period starts on a Sunday in late July and Wheeler’s bill would extend it for three more days.
The bill also calls for a one-week “no contact” period in November, a no-contact period from December 25th to January 1st and a seven day “spring break” that would give students a break from all sports. “I think this would be very popular with parents,” Wheeler said. “It may not be super popular with some coaches or some sports, but I think as we move this conversation forward, we’ll be able to get to a good spot with it.”
The bill easily cleared the House Education Committee last week on a 20-to-three vote, but not after some push back from Representative Daniel Gosa. He’s a former Davenport School Board member who has coached his son’s Little League baseball team. “November would be a huge problem for miscellaneous programs as teams that make playoffs in football would overlap with wrestling and cause major conflicts,” Gosa said. “December, the middle of the wrestling season, that would be bad news for, you know, giving wrestlers seven days off with weight management and endurance would drop.”
The non-contact and no practice policies outlined in the bill would also apply to theater productions, cheerleading, show choir and band. Wheeler says if you were to poll the students, they’d probably say they’d like more free time between sports seasons. “One of my schools won the state football championship this last year. The very next week they were playing basketball,” Wheeler said. “They are a decent basketball team. They almost got knocked off by probably one of the worst teams in their class simply because there was no time off, they were exhausted and they went right into basketball.”
Wheeler says the bill may be altered to line up better with winter sports like basketball and wrestling, but Wheeler says the goal is to get a vote in the full House on a uniform time-off-from-sports policy that gives kids a break. “If I take a whole off of sports and my team is practicing…from a coach’s perspective, that kid’s going to sit,” Wheeler said. “They’re not going to play that kid for a while and he’s going to get rusty.”
A designated “family week” started in the summer of 2021 to give Iowa high school students, coaches and teachers a week away from practicing for sports or band.
DES MOINES, Iowa (KCRG) – Nathan Sage, a Democratic candidate for US Senate, announced Sunday he’s suspending his campaign. Sage, a Marine veteran from Indinanola, said in a statement in part, “This has been one of the hardest decisions of my life. I did not step into this race lightly, and I do not step away lightly.”
Sage said the campaign was “unable to raise the financial resources necessary to keep the campaign viable.” State legislators Zach Whals and Josh Turek are now the remaining two democrats looking to earn the nomination for their party.
Sage was the first Democrat to announce his campaign for the U.S. Senate.
(Red Oak, IA) – A traffic stop this (Sunday) afternoon in Red Oak, resulted in a felony drug-related arrest. According to Red Oak Police, officers stopped 40-year-old Aaron Lucas Allen, of Red Oak, at around 2:20-p.m.in the area of Highland/Coolbaugh Street, for Driving While License Suspended. Allen was subsequently charged with Possession of Methamphetamine/3rd or subsequent offense – a Class D Felony.
He was transported to the Montgomery County Jail and held on a $5,000 bond.
(Council Bluffs, IA) – The Council Bluffs Police Department is investigating a double shooting that occurred early this (Sunday) morning, which led to the apprehension of a suspect armed with a disassembled handgun. According to a press release, at approximately 3:43 AM on February 15, 2026, officers were dispatched to a residence in the 3300 block of 6th Avenue following reports of multiple gunshot victims. Upon arrival, officers discovered two adult males inside the home suffering from gunshot wounds. Medical treatment was provided to both victims and they were both transported to the hospital for further care.

Edder Morales-Solorio
Witnesses indicated that the suspect had fled the area prior to police arrival. Officers began an extensive investigation into the suspect’s location. Officers located the suspect, 22-year-old Edder Morales-Solorio, of Council Bluffs, and took him into custody. The shooting victims’ names are not being released at this time. Neither suffered life-threatening injuries.
Morales-Solorio has been charged with two counts of Attempt to Commit Murder, Going Armed with Intent, two counts of Intimidation with a Dangerous Weapon, two counts of Reckless Use of a Firearm, and two counts of Willful Injury Resulting in Serious Injury.
This investigation remains ongoing.
(Washington County, IA) — No injuries were reported following a pipeline explosion in southeastern Iowa late Saturday morning. The incident occurred near the Skunk river not far from Brighton, in Washington County. Video from the scene showed flames shown belching into the air as the explosion took place.
Fire officials said they received reports of an explosion and large fire just before 11 a.m. Saturday. Multiple departments responded and identified a pipeline fire in the area.
No one in the area at the time, according to law enforcement. An investigation is into the incident is underway, and more information will be released when available.
(Henry County, IA) – A rollover accident Friday afternoon in southeastern Iowa claimed the life of the sole occupant of the vehicle, a teenage male from Wayland, IA. The Iowa State Patrol, Saturday (today) identified the accident victim as 17-year-old Kyler Rugg, of Wayland (IA).
The accident happened south of Trenton at around 1:40-p.m., in the 1700 block of Franklin Avenue. Authorities say a 2001 Nissan Pathfinder was traveling southbound on Franklin Avenue when the driver (Rugg) failed to navigate a curve and lost control. The vehicle rolled multiple times. Rugg – who was not wearing a seat belt – died from his injuries after being flown by helicopter to the University of Iowa Hospitals and Clinics.