KJAN News

KJAN News can be heard:
Monday – Saturday at 6:30 am, 7:05 pm, 8:00 am, 9:00 am, 12:20 pm, 12:40 pm, 3:05 pm & 5:05 pm

Keep up-to-date with Fox News Radio, Radio Iowa,  Brownfield & the Iowa Agribusiness Networks!
Check our Program Schedule Page for times!

Western Iowa casino, closed in 2011 flooding, to reopen in December

News

October 1st, 2012 by Ric Hanson

A gambling hall in western Iowa that shut down last summer should be reopening before the end of the year. Widespread flooding of the Missouri River forced the closure of CasinOmaha last June near the town of Onawa, about halfway between Omaha and Sioux City. The casino is owned by Nebraska’s Omaha Tribe. Tribal leaders say flood damage will be repaired and the casino will have a new look and a new name when it reopens. It’ll be the Blackbird Bend Casino. Construction is getting underway this month and the plan is to have the facility operational in late December.

(Radio Iowa)

Shelby County Fire Danger to remain “High”

Ag/Outdoor, News, Weather

October 1st, 2012 by Ric Hanson

Shelby County Emergency Manager Bob Seivert said today (Monday), that the Fire Danger level in the County will remain in the “HIGH” category through at least Thursday, October 4th. The Fire Danger rating in Shelby County is based on input from local fire chiefs and the Emergency Manager, and weather factors.

Controlled Burns should only be conducted with the knowledge of the local Fire Chief.  Open burning is discouraged. Seivert said last week, that he expects the Fire Danger to remain High throughout the month of October.

Foulkes receives suspended sentence

News

October 1st, 2012 by Ric Hanson

After apologizing to his victim, her family, his wife and family, the Anita Community School District and the court, a Cass County man was sentenced today (Monday), to a total of four-years in prison on two-counts of Sexual Exploitation of a Minor by a School Employee. But Fourth Judicial District Judge Greg Steensland suspended 65-year old William Glenn Foulkes‘ sentence,  and instead ordered the man placed on supervised probation for a period of two-years. Foulkes will reside at a Residential Correctional Facility (RCF) for at least six-months, beginning when space becomes available at the facility.

As part of his sentence, Foulkes will be placed on the State’s Sex Offender Registry for a period of 10-years. He must have no criminal law violations during his two-years of supervised probation, successfully complete a Sex Offender Treatment program of four-to six-months, and submit a DNA sample for profiling purposes. He will also be required to make restitution to the victim (with whom he is allowed no contact for a period of five-years), and be required to pay fines amounting to $650, plus court costs and related fees.

Foulkes, his voice choking up, told the court he apologized to his family for “The embarrassment and pain” his actions have caused. He apologized to the court for his “Inappropriate and illegal behavior and actions.” Foulkes said “I know I have let a lot of people down,” and that he hopes everyone will begin the process of healing.

Foulkes’ Attorney, F. Montgomery Brown told KJAN News he thinks the sentence was a “Just resolution, given Mr. Foulkes’ history and lack of prior criminal record, his military service.” He said also the sentence was “fair,” and “Sufficient to protect the public.” Brown said Foulkes is a low risk to re-offend and that the incident “Appears to be an abhorrent behavior on his part.” The judgement says Foulkes has 30-days to appeal the sentence if he so chooses, but  that is not expected to happen. The Appeals bond was set at $10,000, but all other outstanding bonds were exonerated. Foulkes will remain free pending his placement in the RCF.

Foulkes, a former Anita Community School District teacher pled guilty to the charges on September 4th, in a voluntary plea agreement, in exchange for a felony charge of Sexual Exploitation, and 47 other Aggravated Misdemeanor charges of Sexual Exploitation being dropped.

Foulkes admitted to kissing a juvenile female on numerous occasions while teaching the student in a math program, from August 2009 until November 11th, 2010. He resigned from his teaching position in November 2010.

Omaha man arrested on drug charge in Fremont Co.

News

October 1st, 2012 by Ric Hanson

The Fremont County Sheriff’s Office today (Monday) released a report on recent activity. Officials say on Sept. 22nd, 19-year old Thomas J. Bersch, of Omaha, was arrested on a Possession of Drug Paraphernalia charge, and, 28-year old Isaac Calvin Hayes, of Hamburg, was arrested for Public Intoxication.

On Sept. 27th, Fremont County deputies investigated an incident of theft at the Fremont County Landfill, and on Sept. 25th, a Clarinda man reported an incident of Larceny/Theft.

Officials said also, that on Sept. 17th, David Burns, of Sidney, was driving a 2000 Chevy Silverado pickup westbound on Highway 2, by the Interstate 29 exit (Exit 10), when he was approached by a 2001 Mercury Cougar, driven by Makayla Smith, of Hamburg. Smith failed to slow down in time, and hit the pickup. Burns suffered possible neck and back injuries, and was transported to St. Mary’s Hospital in Nebraska City, NE, for evaluation.

8AM Newscast 10-01-2012

News, Podcasts

October 1st, 2012 by Chris Parks

w/ Ric Hanson

Play

7AM Newscast 10-01-2012

News, Podcasts

October 1st, 2012 by Chris Parks

w/ Ric Hanson

Play

Body of missing Nebraska teenager found Sunday

News

October 1st, 2012 by Ric Hanson

FREMONT, Neb. (AP) – A group of volunteers found the body of a 16-year-old Fremont boy Sunday in a wooded area not far from where his car was discovered on Friday.  Fremont Deputy Chief Jeff Elliott says Brandon Kamphaus’s body was discovered Sunday afternoon. The teenager had been last seen getting ready for school at his house Friday morning.  Kamphaus, who has diabetes, never made it to school Friday.  Elliott says investigators don’t believe foul play was involved in Kamphaus’ death, but an autopsy will be performed to determine how he died.    Kamphaus’ body was found about a mile away from where his car was found.

Iowa early News Headlines: Mon., Oct. 1 2012

News

October 1st, 2012 by Ric Hanson

Here is the latest Iowa news from The Associated Press

DES MOINES, Iowa (AP) – The election of 2012 is well under way though election day is still more than a month away. Democrats have the absentee ballot lead, with voters already returning 8,800 ballots to Republicans’ 2,600 as of Friday. However, Republicans have a voter registration advantage and say they’ll have a strong turnout on Election Day. Early voting began Thursday.

GRUNDY CENTER, Iowa (AP) – A Iowa wood veneer company in Grundy Center has laid off more than half its workers because of slow sales. KWWL reports that the R.S. Bacon Veneer Company laid off almost 50 workers on Friday. The company has been one of Grundy Center’s largest employers for over 40-years.

KEOKUK, Iowa (AP) – An 18-year-old Keokuk man has been acquitted for shooting another man while trying to protect his mother during an argument this summer. Jurors found Colton Dobson not guilty on Thursday after a three-day trial. He had been charged with willfully injuring 27-year-old Tim Mondon with a shotgun on July 14th.

CHARITON, Iowa (AP) – Authorities are investigating a crash that killed three Ottumwa women when their vehicle collided with a pickup truck in south-central Iowa. The crash happened on Highway 34 west of Chariton around 9 p.m. Saturday, killing 56-year-old Olga Palencia, 66-year-old Dolores Rodas and 44-year-old Julieta Mendez. The truck’s driver, 19-year-old Garrett Hollinrake of Knoxville, was injured and taken to a Lucas County hospital.

Bluffs 2-car accident results in house damage

News

October 1st, 2012 by Ric Hanson

A collision between two vehicles Saturday morning in Council Bluffs resulted in $7,500 damage to the vehicles and about $5,000 damage to a nearby home. A police report cited by the Omaha World-Herald, says the accident occurred about 9:25 a.m. at the intersection of North 26th Street and Avenue B.

Officials say 28-year old Bradley A. Triplett, of Council Bluffs, proceeded into the intersection after stopping at the stop sign on 26th Street, when his Jeep Cherokee was struck by a Chevy Cavalier, driven by Jolena M. Shamblen, also of Council Bluffs. Shamblen was traveling east on Avenue B when the accident occurred. The collision caused Shamblen’s Chevy to leave the roadway and crash into a house at 201 N. 26th St. There were no injuries reported.

New segment of 4-lane Highway 20 should be done soon in NW IA, 1 year ahead of schedule

News

October 1st, 2012 by Ric Hanson

The latest stretch of four-lane Highway 20 in northwest Iowa is expected to open this fall, likely in November. Shirley Phillips, president of the Highway 20 Corridor Association (www.4lane20.com), says it’s taken more than two decades to get the east-west thoroughfare to this stage. “We’re extremely pleased that this project is actually a year ahead of schedule because of the good weather and the bids that came in from the contractors,” Phillips says. “The advancement of four-lane Highway 20 has actually almost doubled in size.” Phillips said the latest 26-mile stretch of road should be open in time for Thanksgiving travelers.

“We’re looking at around Thanksgiving,” she says. “We don’t have an exact target date. The paving is actually completed but they do have to do shoulder work, painting and the signing has to go up before we can open the highway.” Phillips detailed how many miles will be needed to finish the four-lane project. “We have about 32 miles between Moville and Highway 71 that needs to be completed,” she says. “They will be working on a stretch between Moville and Correctionville. That’s the next segment to be done, then there will be a segment at Correctionville that will be five lanes through the heart of Correctionville.” Phillips said the goal is to have the entire four-lane project finished within five years. Phillips has been involved with the Highway 20 project for the past 24 years.

(Radio Iowa)