Fire destroys garage/workshop in Griswold
October 17th, 2013 by Ric Hanson
A fire in Griswold Thursday evening destroyed a combination garage/workshop belonging to an 82-year old man who for many years, has worked from there to build small-scale replicas of tractors, including those used for adult pedal tractor pulls and parades. The blaze at the George and Phyllis Rush home, located 94 Maple Street, was reported at around 6:34-p.m.
Griswold Fire Chief Jim Wyman said George Rush was working on an International tractor in the garage. While the gas line on the tractor was off, nearby wires sparked the flames. Rush had some gasoline on his hands, but was not injured.
Wyman said when crews arrived, they observed a lot of black smoke and flames. Inside the garage, tires on the tractors along with some gasoline were burning. Phyllis Rush was not home at the time. She was in the hospital for reasons unrelated to the fire.
The Chief said firefighters spent most of their time trying to get between the double roof sections of the added on garage, which was a total loss. There was also some damage to the roof of the home, as firefighters cut several holes to ventilate the structure and get to some additional flames.
It was the second fire crews from Griswold have fought in less than a month. On Sept. 22nd, a fire leveled a barn and work shop on the Dean Orstad farm on the northwest corner of town.