IA DOT Launches Iowa Travel Planning Websites for Byways & Bicycles
May 13th, 2013 by Ric Hanson
The Iowa Byways website offers several unique features:
- Customize your search: This is not your ordinary search option. Visitors can search the site by type (event, attraction or travel service); category (arts and culture, dining, events and festivals, historic sites, natural areas, recreation, and shopping); or cost. The search results can be added to the user’s trip; saved as a favorite; or shared using social media.
- Plan your trip details: Sign up for free and then create trips by selecting events, attractions and travel services of interest; or add something from your list of favorites. Once you’ve finished, you can print an itinerary for your trip; share your trip plans via Google Plus™, email or as a tweet; export the information; or save it for later use.
- Share an e-postcard: Choose a postcard photo from one of the byway galleries. Then add a personalized message and email it to a friend or family member.
- Create your favorites list and make notes: Once you’ve discovered an interesting attraction or event on the site, save it as a favorite. Then you can add it to a trip, print a list of your favorites, come back to it later or retrieve the information en route using your smartphone.
You can also order a free copy of the Iowa Byways travel guide, or simply print a copy.
- Plan your bike trip ahead of time: Simply enter the starting address and destination address and a suggested route will be generated.
- Discover Iowa’s bicycle facilities: This interactive map shows bike lanes, paved trails, unpaved trails, roads with paved shoulders, sidepaths and bicycle-friendly roads.
- Locate bicycle amenities: Features such as trailheads, restrooms, and water fountains along trails of 5 miles or longer.
- Need repairs: Bicycle shops are also shown.
You can also request a free Iowa Transportation Map for Bicyclists.