Shelby County residents asked to make address markers visible


March 28th, 2013 by Ric Hanson

Officials with the Shelby County Emergency Management Agency are asking residents to make sure their address marker is visible from the roadway. As spring cleaning time nears, and residents begin to clean-up their yard and spruce-up their buildings, EMA officials ask you to pay close attention to your address marker. It should be bright and clearly visible from the road.

Emergency Responders, especially at night, depend on highly visible house numbers, street signs and rural address markers to properly locate you. 911 dispatchers will confirm your location based on your address and map location. If you question where your house number should be posted, you’re asked to check with your local, city authorities.

For Rural Residents, the marker belongs alongside your lane in the fence row. If the fence line is far from the main road, place the marker out of the right of way close enough so that emergency responders can see it. If your Shelby County rural 911 address marker has been damaged, lost or otherwise is not readable, call the Shelby County Emergency Management Agency at 712-755-5160. There is no cost for replacement address markers.

(Joel McCall/KNOD)