Taylor County man dies from severe burns caused by exploding gas can

News

February 11th, 2013 by Ric Hanson

Authorities in Taylor County said Monday that a Lenox man has died from injuries he suffered after a gas can exploded while he was burning debris.

According to the Lenox Police Department, 75-year old James M. Wurster died at the Burn Treatment Center at the University of Iowa Hospital and Clinics in Iowa City, early Saturday morning.  Wurster had been burning debris at around 11:20-a.m. Friday, when fumes from a nearby five-gallon gas can ignited, causing the can to explode, showering Wurster with flaming gasoline.

The man was transported by ambulance to the hospital in Corning before being flown to Iowa City where he died at around 3-a.m., Saturday.