Iowa West Foundation Announces its latest round of grants
January 17th, 2013 by Ric Hanson
Officials with the Council Bluffs-based Iowa West Foundation, say $4 million in grants will be dispersed for the fourth quarter of 2012. The grants, which were announced Wednesday, will be used to assist 35 non-profit organizations and governmental entities with funding for area projects. Among the grant recipients were the City’s of Griswold and Lewis, which received $7,500 and $6,500 respectively, for community building improvements.The City of Kimballton received a $38,000 grant for park and trail improvements, as part of the designation of an “Iowa Great Place” with its neighboring Danish village of Elk Horn.
Other, Iowa West Foundation 2012 fourth quarter grants include, but were not limited to:
• The Adams County Conservation Board, $20,000 for Timber Ridge campground improvements at Lake Icaria.
• The City of Elliott, $26,000 for a wetlands bridge and trail in watershed area.
• The City of Hancock, $14,000 for a community electronic message board.
• The City of Shelby, new concession facility for city park, $8,000.
• Mills County Prevent Child Abuse Council, “Circles4Support” program, $15,000
• Page County Conservation Board, equestrian campground at Pierce Creek Park, $21,000
• Turnbull Child Development Center, technology upgrades for child care center in Shenandoah, $3,000.
Funding for the foundation’s grants comes from investment earnings and the Iowa West Racing Association, which receives contracted fees from casino operators – Ameristar and Harrah’s. IWRA distributes funds to the Iowa West Foundation, which is an independent 501(3) organization under the IRS Code. The foundation makes grants throughout southwest Iowa and eastern Nebraska.
Requests for Iowa West grant applications for the second quarter of 2013 will begin March 1, 2013, and will be accepted through April 1, 2013. Completed applications will be due April 5, 2013. The deadline to request applications for the first quarter has passed.
For more information including deadlines, interested organizations may visit the foundation’s website at www.iowawestfoundation.org or contact Deb Debbaut, grants manager, at 712-309-3003. Guidelines and procedures can be viewed at the website, and applicants can apply online.