Electrical problem sparks Villisca house fire

News

January 28th, 2013 by Ric Hanson

An electrical problem with a space heater is said to have been the blame for a devastating house fire in Villisca late last week. According to reports, the blaze occurred at 104 North 5th Street, Friday. Villisca firefighters arrived on the scene at around 9:30-a.m., and had the fire under control about 4 1/2 hours later, thanks to mutual aid by fire crews from Stanton and Grant. The last crew left the scene about seven-hours after they arrived.

According to Villisca Fire Chief Terry Currin the structure is a total loss. A resident in the home, identified as Kevin Kling of Villisca, was taken to a Lincoln, NE hospital for treatment of minor burns.  Two dogs in the house died during the fire.