Clarinda hay bale fire caused by spontaneous combustion

Ag/Outdoor, News

November 1st, 2012 by Ric Hanson

A hay bale fire this (Thursday) morning southwest of Clarinda was the result of spontaneous combustion. According to Clarinda Assistant Fire Chief Joe Moore, at around 8:30-a.m., the Clarinda Fire Department was called to 2311 Maple Street, approximately 5 miles southwest of Clarinda, when large round hay bales caught fire. Approximately 15 bales, valued at $1,500 altogether, were destroyed.  They had been baled approximately 30-45 days earlier, and were stacked together.  Several other bales were moved from the fire area that were not damaged. The bales were owned by Wellhausen Farms.