8-year-old Iowa boy credited for saving family

News

November 17th, 2012 by Ric Hanson

SIOUX CITY, Iowa (AP) – An 8-year-old Sioux City boy is being credited with saving members of his family from carbon monoxide poisoning.  Jacob Mace was sleeping at his grandmother’s house Tuesday night when he woke up feeling ill.  He then woke up his grandmother, Debbie Beardsley, who also was ill. She thought they might have the flu, until other family members in the house reported feeling ill, too.

Beardsley and her 29-year-old son took Jacob and Beardsley’s 16-year-old granddaughter to a Sioux City hospital, where it was discovered they were all suffering from carbon monoxide poisoning. Carbon monoxide is a colorless and odorless deadly gas. The poison was traced to a malfunctioning furnace.