Discarded cigar blamed for deadly Sioux City fire

News

October 1st, 2012 by Ric Hanson

SIOUX CITY, Iowa (AP) — Authorities say a discarded cigar is to blame for a deadly fire in Sioux City. According to KTIV-TV in Sioux City, investigators say 71-year-old Delbert Rowse died at a hospital after he was pulled from the basement of the burning home early Saturday. Officials say Rowse was asleep when the sofa he was on was ignited by an improperly discarded cigar. It is Sioux City’s second fatal fire this year. A man found dead in a burning home in July died of smoke inhalation.