Deadly Council Bluffs fire caused by kids playing with lighter

News

August 20th, 2012 by Ric Hanson

COUNCIL BLUFFS, Iowa (AP) — Council Bluffs’ fire chief says children playing with a lighter caused a deadly house fire over the weekend. Fire Chief Alan Byers also says there were no working smoke detectors in the house. Four-year-old Leland Johnson died in the fire Saturday morning after being trapped in an upstairs bedroom. Firefighters reached the boy, but he died at the hospital. His mother and two other children safely escaped the house. Byers says the tragedy drives home the need for more fire safety education. He says the fire department has free smoke detectors that firefighters will install for residents. Council Bluffs residents who wish to have a smoke detector checked or have detectors installed, should call 712-328-4672.