High Speed Pursuit in Pottawattamie County, Thursday


May 11th, 2012 by Ric Hanson

A chase that began in Omaha with a stolen vehicle report ended near Neola Thursday evening, but not before the vehicle being pursued reached speeds of up to 130-miles per hour. Pottawattamie County Sheriff Jeff Danker told KJAN News that at around 5:45-p.m., deputies were alerted by Omaha Police to the pursuit of a black Acura stolen from an Omaha Acura dealership, occupied by two men and a woman, all of whom were from Omaha. Danker says deputies in Pott. County picked up the chase after it crossed the Missouri River into Iowa, off of Interstate 480.The vehicle entered Interstate 80 and entered Council Bluffs, at speeds of up to 100-miles per hour. As it left town, the car was traveling up to 130-miles per hour, passing cars on both shoulders and driving recklessly.

Omaha Police helicopter “Able 1” followed the pursuit from the above. Danker says a Pott. County Sheriff’s Deputy was about to deploy stop-sticks at the Neola Exit, but the car was traveling too fast. The driver of the car saw the deputy redeploy the stop-sticks east of the Neola Exit, and took evasive action. The car jumped the median and began heading westbound on I-80 and got off at the Neola exit. The car went out of control and ended-up in a ditch.Danker says the two men bailed out of the car and took off. The rear seat female passenger also got out of the car, but stayed with the vehicle and surrendered to authorities.

The driver of the car was identified as 22-year old Robert Frederick. The front seat passenger was identified as 20-year old Jake Scripter. The female was identified as Samantha Garbez. Danker says investigators in Omaha believe Scripter was the one who stole the car. Both men face 1st degree theft and Interference with Official Acts charges. Frederick faces additional charges of Reckless Driving and Operating without a Valid license. Garbez was not charged. She was transported by Neola Rescue to Mercy Hospital in Council Bluffs, after complaining of chest pains. Frederick and Scripter refused medical treatment. Both men were scheduled to appear in court this morning. Their bonds was set at $10,000 each.