Combine goes up in flames Tue. Night near Atlantic

News

May 3rd, 2012 by Ric Hanson

A combine which had not been used since last Fall was consumed by flames late Tuesday night, south of Atlantic. According to the Atlantic Fire Department, crews responded to the Glen McFadden Farm at around 11:30-p.m., after receiving a report of a combine on fire. 

When the first firefighters arrived, the machine – which had not been used since last Fall due to mechanical or electrical problems – was fully engulfed in flames. Fire Chief Mark McNees said he believes the cause of the fire was electrical in nature, possibly due to a short in the battery.

Firefighters were able to extinguish the flames within about 10-minutes, but the combine was a total loss. No injuries were reported.