Atlantic Fire caused by candle

News

October 11th, 2011 by Ric Hanson

401 Maple Street fire

Firefighters in Atlantic were called to the scene of a residential fire this (Tuesday) afternoon. The  call about flames seen through an upstairs window at 401 Maple Street came in just before 4-p.m. Atlantic Assistant Fire Chief Tim Cappel.told KJAN News upon arrival, smoke was observed coming out the eaves of the home, which houses three apartments. Cappel says it appears an unattended candle ignited some drapes, which were next to a bed. The resident of the apartment extinguished the flames by throwing  clothes and water on top of them. The male resident suffered some minor burns to his hands and feet.

Cappel says the incident should serve as a reminder to people why it’s important to have smoke detectors and fire extinguishers in the home, especially at this time of year. He advised keeping your candles away from drapes and any flammable materials. It’s also important to never leave an open flame unattended.

This is Fire Safety Week. Cappel reminds you to change the batteries in your smoke detectors, and if you don’t have detectors in your home, to purchase them now.