Hwy 2 status update – road closure
June 18th, 2011 by Ric Hanson
AMES, Iowa – June 18, 2011; 4:35 p.m. – The Iowa Department of Transportation (DOT) will be closing Iowa 2 from Interstate 29 in Iowa to Nebraska City, Neb., this (Saturday) evening due to rising flood and ground water. All east- and westbound lanes will be closed. This is expected to be a long-term closure.
The Iowa DOT is attempting to keep the road open as long as possible today, but it will be closed tonight. No further advance warning will be possible. The public will be notified when the road is closed.
Suggested alternative route…
· Starting at the I-29/Iowa 2 interchange in Fremont County, Iowa (exit 10)
· Take Iowa 2 east to U.S. 59
· Take U.S. 59 north to Iowa 92
· Take Iowa 92 west to U.S. 275 at Council Bluffs
· Continue west on U.S. 275 to Nebraska Highway 50
· Go south on Nebraska Highway 50 to Nebraska Highway 2
· Go east on Nebraska Highway 2 to Nebraska City, Neb.