Mo. Valley Fire
May 9th, 2011 by Ric Hanson
Authorities in Harrison County say flames from an unattended brush fire whipped by winds of up to 35-miles per hours, destroyed a machine shop Sunday afternoon, in Missouri Valley. More than 30 volunteer firefighters from five towns responded to the blaze, which was reported shortly after 2 p.m. No one was injured, but the damage amounted to an estimated $38,000.
Missouri Valley Fire Chief Eugene Shaeffer says the shop’s owner had been burning brush in a pit on the property Sunday morning, and the fire was left unattended. The flames eventually spread to the nearby, one-story, wooden-structure shop.
Shaeffer said there was little Firefighters could do except spray water on adjacent houses to keep them from catching on fire as well.