Council Bluffs fire fatality identified

News

May 4th, 2011 by Ric Hanson

COUNCIL BLUFFS, Iowa (AP) — Authorities say it appears a deadly house fire in Council Bluffs was sparked by items behind a refrigerator in the kitchen. Fire officials say 37-year-old Daniel Naylor died in the fire that broke out in his home early Tuesday. Fire Chief Alan Byers says the fire was apparently started by papers and other times that accumulated behind the refrigerator over a period of time.

He says it appears the heat normally generated by the refrigerator caught the items on fire. Byers says an off-duty police officer reported the fire about 1 a.m. Naylor’s body was found in a bathroom. A dog also died.

The fire chief says the home didn’t have any smoke detectors.