United Group Insurance

Pottawattamie County Residents Encouraged to Report Flood Damage


August 12th, 2011 by Ric Hanson

COUNCIL BLUFFS, IOWA – In a disappointing decision, FEMA has denied Iowa’s request for an
Individual Assistance Declaration. The Individual Assistance (I.A.) Program would allow citizens
to apply for federal assistance through FEMA. If qualified they could potentially receive
assistance for damage and losses.

Local and State Officials have partnered to gather and submit further damage information as
part of an official appeal to the federal government for assistance. All citizens in Pottawattamie
County, whether you live Council Bluffs, Carter Lake, Crescent or in the unincorporated portions of the
county affected by the flood, are encouraged to report flood damage to private property that has
occurred from May 25th to the present. Even if you can’t physically inspect your property, please report
your probable damages based on the conditions at your property.

Citizens can report their damage at the County web site, www.pottcounty.com, and click on the
“DAMAGE REPORTING TOOL” link. Residents without computer access can call 712-328-4672 to report
damage. Phones will be answered from 8am to 5pm, Monday through Friday.

Emergency Management Officials stress that the public needs to be an active partner in the damage
assessment process during our appeal. This will provide the best information to FEMA in hope that

they will authorize the Individual Assistance Program for our citizens.