Safety improvements at highway-railroad grade crossings were approved by the Iowa Transportation Commission today (Tuesday). The improvements include the addition of signals with gate arms at 27 crossings and circuitry upgrades at five crossings. Funds were also approved to assist in crossing closures. Engineering and planning for these improvements will take place over the next year with installation planned in 2015.
In the KJAN listening area: Chestnut Avenue crossing the BNSF line in Adams County will receive $200,000 in federal funds to replace the crossbucks with signals/gate arms; Lincoln Avenue in Pacific Junction will receive $195,000 for a similar project. Both projects are included in the 2014 Program.
Projects scheduled for 2015 include the replacement of crossbucks with signals equipped with gate arms over the Union Pacific tracks in: Harrison County, where the improvements will be made along 128th Trail, and on Missouri Avenue in Pottawattamie County. The projects are receiving $440,000 altogether. And, the Union Pacific crossing on Iris Avenue in Union County, will receive $180,000 for the replacement of crossbucks with a signals/gate & arms.
The Highway-Railroad Crossing Safety Program provides 90 percent of the cost of the safety improvement, with the remaining 10 percent paid by the party responsible for the highway (normally a city or county), the railroad or a portion paid by each. Funding for the program comes from the Federal Highway-Railroad Crossing Program.