A report in the Omaha World-Herald says prosecutors have agreed to drop second-degree murder charges against a 24-year-old Omaha man accused of a fatal shooting on the Bob Kerrey Pedestrian Bridge, which links Omaha and Council Bluffs. Terrece R. Cox had been scheduled to go on trial Monday. Instead, Cox is expected to be released from jail today (Friday), after the murder charge and six other counts are dismissed.
Douglas County Attorney Don Kleine and Cox’s attorney, Bill Eustice, said witnesses were either evasive or uncooperative with police and prosecutors. Cox has always claimed he was innocent in the 1-a.m. shooting death on May 29th, of 26-year old Shamari Richards.
About a dozen young people were on the bridge about 1 a.m. At least seven of them, including a 16-year-old girl, had been drinking in celebration of the girl’s birthday. Then they came in contact with Richards and a few of his friends. At some point, a young woman was punched. A confrontation ensued. Shots were fired. Richards was killed. Kevin Jenkins, who was 29 at the time, and Jeremy Fejeran, who was 19, were also shot, but they survived.