KJAN News

QR CODE 35357558

NEW!! SCAN (OR CLICK) THE QR CODE ABOVE TO SHOP THE KJAN BIG DEALS STORE!!

KJAN News can be heard:
Monday – Saturday at 6:30 am, 7:05 pm, 8:00 am, 9:00 am, 12:00 pm, 12:40 pm, 3:05 pm & 5:05 pm

Keep up-to-date with Fox News Radio, Radio Iowa,  Brownfield & the Iowa Agribusiness Networks!
Check our Program Schedule Page for times!

Iowa early News Headlines; Wed., May 6th 2015

News

May 6th, 2015 by Ric Hanson

Here is the latest Iowa news from The Associated Press

SIOUX CITY, Iowa (AP) — A jury has found a 20-year-old Denison man guilty of killing two elderly people and trying to burn their bodies. Jurors delivered the guilty verdict to Jayden Chapman, convicting him of two counts of first-degree murder and reckless use of fire in the deaths of 80-year-old Marvin Huesling and 81-year-old Alice Huisenga.

MOSCOW, Iowa (AP) — Authorities say a southeast Iowa man and the horse he was riding were killed by a lightning strike. The Muscatine County Sheriff’s Office says 35-year-old William J. “Billy” Clevenger and his horse died when they were struck by lightning near Moscow in rural Muscatine County.

MINNEAPOLIS (AP) — Turkey farmer Greg Langmo says he knew right away when the flock that usually clustered around him turned lethargic that his Minnesota farm had been struck by the bird flu that has shaken the poultry industry. Langmo lost more than 30,000 turkeys at his farm near Litchfield, and expects to lose well over $100,000 even after partial government compensation. The bird flu has affected nearly 28 million chickens and turkeys at over 100 Midwest farms, mostly in Minnesota and Iowa. Langmo plans to cut expenses until he can start raising and marketing turkeys again. But he says if his bank account runs dry first, he’s finished.

DES MOINES, Iowa (AP) — Gov. Terry Branstad wants to end to a perplexing abortion restriction adopted in Iowa two years ago. The Republican governor’s proposed Health and Human Services budget doesn’t renew a requirement that he sign off on any payments for publicly funded abortions. Lawmakers adopted that policy, which effectively halted state reimbursements for abortion under Medicaid because providers stopped submitting the claims.

Jury convicts 2nd suspect in western Iowa slayings

News

May 5th, 2015 by Ric Hanson

SIOUX CITY, Iowa (AP) — A jury has found a 20-year-old Denison man guilty of killing two elderly people and trying to burn their bodies. Jurors delivered the guilty verdict Tuesday to Jayden Chapman, convicting him of two counts of first-degree murder and reckless use of fire in the deaths of 80-year-old Marvin Huesling and 81-year-old Alice Huisenga.

The Omaha World-Herald reports Chapman testified Monday in his own defense, saying he shot Huisenga because another man, 27-year-old Michael Schenk, gave him the gun. Chapman said Schenk threatened to kill him if he didn’t shoot. Authorities say Schenk and Chapman shot the pair in March 2014 at a trailer home in Deloit and then set it on fire. Schenk was sentenced in March to two life terms for his role in the slayings.

Sioux City man accused of sex with teen gets 10 years

News

May 5th, 2015 by Ric Hanson

SIOUX CITY, Iowa (AP) — A Sioux City man accused of having sex multiple times with a teenage girl has been sentenced to 10 years in prison. The Sioux City Journal reports 32-year-old Joshua Case was sentenced Tuesday after pleading guilty last month to four counts of third-degree sexual abuse and one count of sexual exploitation of a minor. Case’s sentence also requires him to register as a sexual offender.

Court documents say a teenage girl reported having sex with Case about 20 times over a nine-month period. Case was also accused of having photos of sexual acts with the girl, who was 14 or 15 years old. Authorities say they knew each other through their involvement in community theatrical productions in Sioux City.

An attorney for Case couldn’t be reached for comment Tuesday.

 

Atlantic City Council to act on special street closures & construction zone

News

May 5th, 2015 by Ric Hanson

The Atlantic City Council will meet Wednesday evening in the Council’s Chambers, at City Hall. During their 5:30-p.m. session, the Council will act on a Resolution accepting the work for the 2013 Street Improvement Projects, and on several street closures for special events.

Among those events, is “Produce in the Park,” which will take place every Thursday from June 4th through October 16th, and during which 4th Street is expected to be closed from Chestnut Street west, to the alley between Chestnut and Poplar, from 4-until 7-p.m.  That same stretch of road is likely to be closed for “Crazy Days,” which is set for July 18th. And, the Council is expected to act on closing 6th Street from Chestnut to Poplar, October 9th and 10th, from 4-until 8-pm both days, for a Picnic Celebration honoring our firefighters, the event precedes the annual Fireman’s Parade.

In other business, the Atlantic City Council, Wednesday, will act on approving a parade permit for the May 16th “Ba-Da Ba-Da Bing Bang Rally.” They’ll also hear a presentation from Dave Chase, with Nishna Valley Trails (NVT), with regard to Surface Transportation Program (STP) Funds, and an Order of Support to seek up to $80,000 from the STP for NVT-related projects.

The Council is also expected to act on the first reading of an ordinance for prohibited parking within designated construction zones, with regard to re-routed traffic during the DOT’s 7th Street/Highway 6 construction project. And, they’ll likely act on an order setting May 20th as the date to fill a vacancy on the Council by appointment, if a candidate is selected. Councilperson Lori Stuart had earlier announced she would be stepping down from her seat in preparation for her family’s move to Cedar Rapids. The person appointed to fill her seat would hold the position until at least this fall’s election, at which time the voters will affirm or reject the appointment.

The Atlantic City Council will also set the date for a Public Hearing on an amendment to the Fiscal Year 2015 Budget. City Administrator John Lund has indicated only a few adjustments are needed for this current fiscal year, the reasons for which will be explained during the Wednesday’s meeting.

Eminent domain legislation advances in Iowa Senate

News

May 5th, 2015 by Ric Hanson

DES MOINES, Iowa (AP) — Legislation that would make it harder for two energy projects to win eminent domain rights has passed another legislative hurdle in the Iowa Senate. The Senate Government Oversight Committee approved the bill Tuesday. Under the proposal, a project seeking eminent domain to build through private properties could get permission only after negotiating voluntary deals for at least 75 percent of the affected land.

The proposed change could impact two current proposals, both before the Iowa Utilities Board. One is to build an oil pipeline that would ship 450,000 barrels daily from production sites in North Dakota to an oil hub in Illinois. The other proposal is to build an electrical line across 16 Iowa counties that would transmit wind-generated energy from Iowa to customers in the Midwest and East Coast.

Cass Supervisors to appoint township trustee

News

May 5th, 2015 by Ric Hanson

The Cass County Board of Supervisors will meet Wednesday morning at their Boardroom in the Courthouse. During their session, which begins at 8:30-a.m., the Board will act on appointing a Cass Township Trustee to fill a vacancy term through 2016. They’ll also appoint a representative to SIRHA (the Southern Iowa Regional Housing Authority), to fill a vacancy through 2017.

Other business includes:Approval of the third Amendment to the Cooperative Reimbursement Agreement with Department of Human Services, Bureau of Collections (Child Support); Accepting or rejecting the bids for a bridge replacement project. The bridge (#83) is located over Baughman Creek.

The Board will also receive a quarterly report from Cass County Veterans Affairs Director Mitch Holmes, and regular reports from the Cass County Attorney, Engineer, and Mental Health/Disabilities Services & General Assistance Director.

Lewis man arrested Monday on drug & other charges

News

May 5th, 2015 by Ric Hanson

The Cass County Sheriff’s Office reports one person was arrested Monday on drug and other charges. 33-year old Bo Wilson, of Lewis, was arrested for Criminal Mischief in the 3rd Degree, Possession of Marijuana/1st Offense, Domestic Abuse Assault/1st Offense, Obstruction of Emergency Communications, and Possession of Drug Paraphernalia.

Wilson was taken to the Cass County Jail where he was released today (Tuesday), on his own recognizance.

Glenwood man arrested on numerous charges, Tuesday

News

May 5th, 2015 by Ric Hanson

The Glenwood Police Department reports the arrest today (Tuesday), of 20-year old Dylan Conn. The Glenwood man was taken into custody on charges that include Interference With official acts, Carrying weapons, obstruction prosecution or defense, 2 counts of possession of paraphernalia, and Unlawful possession of prescription drug. His cash bond was set at $6,600.

Hwy 6/7th Street construction set to begin in June

News

May 5th, 2015 by Ric Hanson

Officials with the Iowa Department of Transportation said a pre-construction meeting has been scheduled for tomorrow (Wednesday) May 6th beginning at 1-p.m. at the DOT’s District 4 Office, in Atlantic.  Transportation Planner Scott Suhr said the meeting (which is not open to the public, as it is between the DOT and the contractor) is with regard to the upcoming Highway 6/7th Street reconstruction project in Atlantic, that will result in detours being established once construction begins.

Suhr says the contractor has not given a specific start date yet but they have indicated they will likely begin work on the project the first week of June. That he says, will help ease some traffic with school being out for the summer. Once construction begins, the road will be closed from the intersection of Olive Street and Highway 6 (7th Street) east to just past the entrance to Burger King.

In the days leading up to construction, orange “Trailblazing” detour signs with the names of each business will be erected, directing people to those local businesses they would normally have access to on 7th Street. Signs will also be placed at 7th and Olive directing traffic to 10th Street for local, through traffic. Other, non-local or “Global” traffic will take Highway 173, Interstate 80 and U-S Highway 71 into or around Atlantic.

Bid letting on the project took place on March 17th. Once construction begins, KJAN will keep you informed on progress and relevant news pertaining to the project until it is completed.

Harlan Police Department arrest report, 5/5/15

News

May 5th, 2015 by Ric Hanson

The Harlan Police Department reports three people were arrested recently, while three others were cited for various offenses. Officials say on April 17th, 32-year old Malcolm McDonald, of Harlan, was taken into custody as a result of an investigation in to an alleged shoplifting incident reported by Do It Best Hardware. McDonald was cited for theft, 5th degree and released.

On April 29th, 40-year old William Willis, of Tahlequah, Oklahoma, was arrested on an active warrant out of Webster City following a traffic stop. Willis was taken to the Shelby County Jail to await extradition on the warrant.

On May 1st, 29-year old John Hinkel, of Woodbine, was arrested following a traffic stop. Hinkel was transported to the Shelby County Jail where he was charged with operating a motor vehicle while intoxicated and speed. A passenger in the car, 27-year old Joshua Derengowski, of Logan, was cited for open container and released.

And on Sunday, 18-year old Curtis Scheffler, of Harlan, was cited when he was seen driving a golf cart in the 700 block of Durant. Scheffler was cited for driving under suspension and released.

(9-a.m. News)