KJAN News

QR CODE 35357558

NEW!! SCAN (OR CLICK) THE QR CODE ABOVE TO SHOP THE KJAN BIG DEALS STORE!!

KJAN News can be heard:
Monday – Saturday at 6:30 am, 7:05 pm, 8:00 am, 9:00 am, 12:20 pm, 12:40 pm, 3:05 pm & 5:05 pm

Keep up-to-date with Fox News Radio, Radio Iowa,  Brownfield & the Iowa Agribusiness Networks!
Check our Program Schedule Page for times!

Red Oak cop cited after accident

News

October 16th, 2013 by Ric Hanson

A Red Oak Police Officer was cited for Failure to Stop in an assured clear distance, following an accident Monday afternoon. The Montgomery County Sheriff’s Office says the accident involving a 2013 Dodge Charger owned by the City of Red Oak’s Police Department and  driven by Officer Derrick Walter, and 2012 Ford F-150 pickup, driven by Kenneth Bruce, of Red Oak, happened at around 12:35-p.m. in the 600 block of north Broadway Street, in Red Oak.

Officials say Bruce’ pickup was stopped at the intersection, waiting for the light to change, when the officer, who was traveling in the same direction, failed to observe the trucks brake lights. In addition, due to the wet road conditions, Officer Walter was unable to stop his car in-time. It collided with the rear of the pickup, causing $4,400 to the patrol car, and a little over $1,000 damage to the pickup. No injuries were reported.

(used during 5-pm news 10/15 & overnight news)

Iowa News Headlines: Wed., Oct. 16th 2013

News

October 16th, 2013 by Ric Hanson

Here is the latest Iowa news from The Associated Press…

JOHNSTON, Iowa (AP) — Volunteers and state support are keeping the Iowa Gold Star Military Museum at Camp Dodge open during the federal government shutdown. The Iowa National Guard says the state will pay a part-time staffer and volunteers will fill in as needed. The museum was established in 1985 and is the only federally recognized repository for military artifacts in Iowa.

BOONE, Iowa (AP) — The trial of a man charged with killing his wife in Boone has been moved to a different county more than 130 miles away. A judge ruled last week that 39-year-old Alexander Fazzino’s trial will happen in Buchanan County instead of Boone County. Defense attorneys had filed a motion for the move because of media coverage in the area. Fazzino is charged with first-degree murder in the death last year of his wife, Emily Fazzino.

OELWEIN, Iowa (AP) — A northeast Iowa man accused of shooting his wife multiple times faces an attempted murder charge. Oelwein Police responded to a home Tuesday and detained 44-year-old Myron Dewayne Meador after he came outside with a self-inflicted gunshot wound. Meador’s wife, 38-year-old Niki Jolene Meader, was found inside the home with multiple gunshot wounds.

DES MOINES, Iowa (AP) — Iowa officials and conservation leaders are working on a management plan for the 256-acre Little Wall Lake in Hamilton County. The state Department of Natural Resources and the Hamilton County Conservation Board have disagreed on water level issues. DNR has been in favor of the shallow lake experiencing natural drought cycles. Lake residents want to increase the water level for recreation during drought years.

Avoca man arrested on theft and other charges

News

October 15th, 2013 by Ric Hanson

The Harlan Police Department reports the arrest on Sunday of 25-year old Christopher Courtney II, of Avoca. Courtney was arrested after officers were called to Casey’s General Store to investigate an incident where someone left the store without paying for some items that were consumed. After attaining the description and license number of the subject’s vehicle, officers located the vehicle and initiated a traffic stop.

Courtney was subsequently arrested and transported to the Shelby County Jail, where he was charged with operating a motor vehicle while intoxicated, driving while revoked, theft 5th, open container (driver), and failure to have security against liability.

Harlan couple arrested for child endangerment

News

October 15th, 2013 by Ric Hanson

The Harlan Police Department reports the arrest on Monday of a man and woman on child endangerment charges. 29-year old Corey Zeimen, and 24-year old Kassandra Kline, both of Harlan, were arrested following the investigation of allegations that their 16-month old son, Leo Zeimen, had been abused.

After the child was examined in the Myrtue Medical Center emergency room on September 17th, officers were called to investigate the alleged abuse. Zeimen and Kline were both transported to the Shelby County Jail where they were both charged with two counts of aggravated child endangerment and one count of felony child endangerment.

Atlantic City Council to act on several resolutions, Wednesday

News

October 15th, 2013 by Ric Hanson

The Atlantic City Council will act on a variety of resolutions when they hold their regular meeting Wednesday evening. Among the resolutions, are those pertaining to: the acceptance of work for the Sunnyside Tennis Court project, under contract with Dostals Construction Company; The disposal of City-owned property at 300 Cedar Street (following a public hearing); and resolutions accepting and approving the acquisition of properties at 611 Linn and 1200 Birch Streets.

The Council will also act on approving a resolution setting the rules and regulations for the use of the City’s Truck Parking lot. The City’s Public Safety Committee recommends the City establish rules and a fee structure that would help the City address various needs and problems associated with the site. At the same time, the Committee recognizes that there are some private businesses which are beginning to offer a truck parking service, and the Committee does not want the City to unfairly compete with those businesses.

The Council will also consider a request by the Iowa DOT for the City to pay the $140,000 Engineering costs for the Highway 6/7th Street Reconstruction project. The City has been trying for the past couple of years, to get the State to address the problem on the rough section of road located from Olive Street to just east of the Burger King restaurant. City Administrator Doug Harris says while the ultimate responsibility for the full cost of the project falls on the State, the City can expedite the process by paying for the engineering costs, which Harris says would be reduced to $68,000. That would cover the design phase, and is contingent upon the State agreeing to the installation of a full-depth, Portland Cement reconstruction of the road, with the majority of the work complete in 2014.  The State also would still be responsible for the Construction Engineering costs.

The total estimated cost of the reconstruction project is $1.175-million. The Atlantic City Council meeting begins at 5:30-p.m., Wednesday, in the Council’s Chambers, at City Hall.

Update: Council Bluffs to pay $6 million to settle lawsuit

News

October 15th, 2013 by Ric Hanson

DES MOINES, Iowa (AP) — The city of Council Bluffs will pay $6 million to settle a lawsuit with two Omaha, Neb., men who sued after the courts concluded they were wrongfully convicted and imprisoned for 25 years. Terry Harrington and Curtis McGhee will be paid $2.3 million immediately and the remainder in six annual payments of more than $528,500. A final payment of just over $728,500 will be made in July 2020.

The agreement splits the money evenly between the two men in exchange for dismissal of the lawsuit. The agreement specifies no admission of fault or liability by any party or implies wrongdoing.

Details, initially sealed on Friday, were ordered unsealed Tuesday after The Associated Press filed a freedom of information request under Iowa’s open records law.

Update 12:19-p.m.: Council Bluffs shooting victim dies; standoff ends

News

October 15th, 2013 by Ric Hanson

COUNCIL BLUFFS, Iowa (AP) – Council Bluffs police say a woman has died after a domestic disturbance turned deadly.  Police Sgt. Chad Meyers said Tuesday that 44-year-old Millisa Cox was pronounced dead at a Council Bluffs hospital.

A neighbor, Jennie Rolli, says Millisa Cox came outside around 8 a.m. Tuesday, sat by a tree and yelled for help. She was soon taken to the hospital.

Darwin Cox. (photo provided by Council Bluffs P-D)

Darwin Cox. (photo provided by Council Bluffs P-D)

Officers say a man inside the home refused to come out, and a negotiator and a SWAT unit were dispatched. The officers rushed into the house about 9:45 a.m. to end the standoff. They found the woman’s husband, 55-year-old Darwin Cox.

Meyers says Darwin Cox had shot himself in the head. The suffered a wound to his chin area, but it appeared to be superficial and not considered to be life-threatening. He was taken to a hospital in nearby Omaha, Neb.  Meyers said it appears Darwin fatally shot Millisa and then unsuccessfully tried to commit suicide by shooting himself. The case remains under investigation, and charges against Darwin Cox are likely to be forthcoming.

(update): Council Bluffs standoff ends; at least 2 wounded

News

October 15th, 2013 by Ric Hanson

COUNCIL BLUFFS, Iowa (AP) – Police have rushed into a Council Bluffs house and have ended a 90-minute standoff that began after a domestic fight turned into a shooting. Authorities say officers found a wounded man inside who they believe shot himself. He was taken to a hospital in nearby Omaha, Neb. A woman who’d been shot earlier was taken to a Council Bluffs hospital. A police dispatch supervisor told KJAN News CPR was in-progress as the woman was being transported.

Pottawattamie County dispatcher Scott Vandervort says a negotiator and a SWAT unit were sent to the house around 8:15 this (Tuesday) morning. Council Bluffs police Lt. Dan Flores says the armed man inside wouldn’t leave. That led SWAT officers to storm into the house around 9:45 a.m.

Police say officers didn’t fire any shots. Police have not released the names of the two wounded people

Stand-off ends in Council Bluffs – 2 hospitalized

News

October 15th, 2013 by Ric Hanson

A stand-off in Pottawattamie County ended this morning with two people taken to the hospital. Police in Council Bluffs told KJAN News a female, said to be in critical condition, was taken to Mercy Hospital in Council Bluffs. The official said CPR was in progress at the time of transport.

The official said incident took place at 3441 Avenue B at around 8:15-a.m. Emergency crews, a SWAT team and negotiator had been sent to the home to deal with a man who had reportedly barricaded himself inside.

Authorities entered the home at around 10-a.m. and took the suspect away in an ambulance. Nearby schools were notified of the situation and placed in lockdown as a precaution. No other details have been released.  

Lenox Police: 2 convicted sex offenders move to town

News

October 15th, 2013 by Ric Hanson

Police in Lenox reported two convicted sex offenders have moved into the community. The men, 62-year old Daniel Lloyd Clark and 38-year old James Anthony Wilkes, reside at 110 south Locust Street and 601 south Walnut Street, Lot 22, respectively. Both men are listed on the Iowa Sex Offender Registry.

Clark was convicted in Sept. 2005 of Indecent Contact with a Child (ages 0-13), in Fayette County.

Daniel Lloyd Clark

Daniel Lloyd Clark

Wilkes was convicted in Minnesota, of Criminal Sexual Conduct in January and August, 2002. His victims were both females, ages 14-to 17, and over the age of 18.

James Anthony Wilkes

James Anthony Wilkes

The Lenox P-D posted the notices on its Facebook Page as a way to alert citizens of the mens’ presence.