(Updates to say fire was electrical in nature)
An investigator from the State Fire Marshal’s Office has determined a fire late Monday morning at a business in Griswold was caused by an apparent electrical problem. The call about flames inside the building at 615 Main Street (Southwest Iowa Tiling) came in at around 11:50-a.m. Griswold Fire Captain Dustin Wyman was one of the first firefighters from Griswold to arrive. He describes what the scene looked like.
Evidence of the damage caused by the fire at SW IA Tiling in Griswold.
Photo courtesy Cass Co. Deputy Bill Ayers.
Wyman said there was a large amount of black smoke coming from the east side of the building. One initial attack, there were windows broken out on the south side, with smoke and flames pouring out. All the employees escaped and were not injured.
Inside the building were a number of vehicles, tools and welding tanks. One of the vehicles, a pickup truck converted into a service vehicle, was heavily damaged by the flames. Firefighters from Lewis, Elliott, Red Oak and Atlantic were called to help fight the flames and provide extra water. Red Oak and Atlantic brought their Quint, or ladder trucks to the scene.
The flames were knocked down within about 30-to 45-minutes. The building was a total loss.