KJAN News

QR CODE 35357558

NEW!! SCAN (OR CLICK) THE QR CODE ABOVE TO SHOP THE KJAN BIG DEALS STORE!!

KJAN News can be heard:
Monday – Saturday at 6:30 am, 7:05 pm, 8:00 am, 9:00 am, 12:00 pm, 12:40 pm, 3:05 pm & 5:05 pm

Keep up-to-date with Fox News Radio, Radio Iowa,  Brownfield & the Iowa Agribusiness Networks!
Check our Program Schedule Page for times!

(Podcast) KJAN Morning News & funeral report, 8/4/2015

News, Podcasts

August 4th, 2015 by Ric Hanson

The 7:06-a.m. report w/KJAN News Director Ric Hanson

Play

UTV stolen in Montgomery County

News

August 4th, 2015 by Ric Hanson

Sheriff’s officials in Montgomery County are asking for your help in locating a stolen UTV. A 2009 Cub Cadet “Volunteer” Utility Terrain Vehicle was taken from a residence in the 1300 block of 250th Street sometime between the hours of Noon and 1-p.m., Monday. A key had been left in the machine at the time it was stolen.

The UTV stolen was similar in appearance to this vehicle

The UTV stolen was similar in appearance to this vehicle

The vehicle is green with a black tilt box on the back. Anyone with information about the theft is asked to call the Montgomery County Sheriff’s Office at 712-623-5107, or Crimestoppers at 1-888-434-2712.

Sun glare played a role in a Villisca 2 vehicle accident

News

August 4th, 2015 by Ric Hanson

Sheriff’s officials in Montgomery County say it appears sun glare contributed to the cause of a two-vehicle accident Monday evening, in Villisca. Authorities say the accident happened at around 5:40-p.m. in the 700 block of South U Avenue. Upon investigation, it was determined 53-year old Dennis James Gibson, of Villisca, was traveling south on U Avenue in a 2001 Saturn, when the car hit the rear of a southbound 2005 Ford Focus that was slowing to make a turn.

Neither Gibson, nor the driver of the other vehicle, 33-year old Candix Jo Marie Boudreau, of Villisca, were injured in the collision. Boudreau was cited for operating a motor vehicle without a valid license. Damage from the collision amounted to $3,500.

Red Oak man arrested Mon. night

News

August 4th, 2015 by Ric Hanson

A Red Oak man was arrested Monday night on OWI and Possession of Drug Paraphernalia, charges. 53-year old Clyde Loran Fisher was taken into custody in the vicinity of N. 2nd Street and Linden Avenue, at around 11:20-p.m. Fisher was held in the Montgomery County Jail on $1,000 bond.

Motorcycle time capsule opened in Greenfield with Honda’s set to be sold in September

News

August 4th, 2015 by Ric Hanson

The Omaha World-Herald reports nearly 25-years after a Honda motorcycle dealership in Greenfield closed it’s doors, its owners passed away, and hundreds of motorbikes, parts and memorabilia were left to gather dust, the bikes have been washed, cleaned and inventoried for a liquidation sale that auction officials expect will attract thousands of potential buyers in September.

Greenfield Honda started in business 50-years ago, but the brothers who ran it retired in 1992. Although most of the motorcycles are trade-ins, the collection includes a few unsold bikes with the manufacturer’s statement of origin. Randy Baxter, who owns Baxter Cycle in Marne, is helping to organize the motorcycle auction. He says the Greenfield collection contains many special bikes, especially for Honda aficionados.

That includes a first-year Gold Wing from 1975, still equipped with the previous owner’s citizens band radio and bubble compass. An ’84 Gold Wing with low mileage. A 1962 Benly and CVX. A 1979 CBX with 43 miles. Three CT70 Mini Trails. A pair of now-banned three-wheel all-terrain vehicles. Plus a pair of British-made BSA bikes from the 1960s.

There are also crates of new engines. Boxes of new fuel tanks. Stacks of clothing. Hundreds of feet of shelving packed with new and used parts. Specialized tools. Advertising signs and posters. An unused commemorative helmet designed for America’s bicentennial in 1976.

Baxter said Greenfield Honda sold about 400 bikes a year at one time — based in a community of about 2,200 at the time. Even actor Dick Van Dyke bought a motorcycle there in 1969, during filming of the movie “Cold Turkey.”

Bluffs man sentenced to 5-years in prison after road rage incident

News

August 4th, 2015 by Ric Hanson

A Council Bluffs man will serve five years in prison for knocking a 15-year-old unconscious after an auto accident. The Daily NonPareil reports 35-year old Ryan D. Linehan plead guilty on Monday at the Pottawattamie County Courthouse to a felony charge of willful injury, causing bodily injury. Fourth District Judge James Heckerman immediately sentenced Linehan to five years in prison, fined him $750, and banned Linehan from contacting the victim’s family for a period of up to four years. The man was also ordered to pay restitution to the victim for past and current medical bills associated with the incident.

The charge stemmed from an April 25th altercation between Linehan and a 15-year-old from Council Bluffs. According to the criminal complaint, Linehan, in his girlfriend’s 2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee, tried to pass the teen’s 2011 Dodge Ram truck. The vehicles made contact, and the two males pulled over and got out.

According to a witness, Linehan attacked the 15-year-old and knocked him to his hands and knees. The witness, a friend of the victim, began shooting cell phone video of the fight and caught on video Linehan kicking the teen twice while he was trying to get back up. The first kick knocked the teen’s cap off. The second kick knocked him unconscious.

After Council Bluffs Police investigated the incident for three weeks, Linehan was charged with willful injury causing bodily injury, a Class C felony, which carries a 10-year prison sentence. Linehan’s lead attorney, Chad Primmer, said one of the main reasons his client pleaded guilty was the strong possibility of a guilty verdict from a jury. Linehan originally pleaded not guilty on June 9th, and his trial was supposed to have started today (Tuesday).

Owners of fire gutted restaurant in Oakland plan to rebuild

News

August 4th, 2015 by Ric Hanson

The owners of a restaurant in Oakland that was destroyed by a fire early Monday morning, say they plan to rebuild. Bud and Sarah Johansen told the Daily NonPareil,  Monday, that the Buck Snort restaurant was insured, and that they will rebuild the popular establishment that’s been in their possession since they purchased it about six months ago. The same couple also own and operated a restaurant by the same name in Neola for the past seven years.

Bud Johansen, who is himself a volunteer with the Neola Volunteer Fire Department, said he and his wife support a number of community and private fundraising efforts at both their Oakland and Neola facilities.The Oakland Buck Snort had been the collection point for a community effort to collect backpacks for students attending Oakland-area schools who might need them. Fortunately, the backpacks that had been donated by area residents were picked up last weekend and were not in the building when the fire broke out.

The fire at the Buck Snort, 310 Dr. Van Zee Road, was reported just before 3 a.m. Monday, according to the Pottawattamie County Sheriff’s Office. Deputies and members of four local fire departments arrived on the scene to find heavy smoke coming from the building. Pott. County Chief Deputy Sheriff John Reynolds said crews battled the fire, it worsened, and firefighters were forced to retreat and take a defensive position.

Oakland volunteer firefighters were assisted by firefighters from Carson, Macedonia and Hancock. The fire was declared under control by around 5-a.m., but volunteers from the Oakland Fire Department remained on the scene of the fire throughout the afternoon to address hot spots.

Authorities believe the blaze started in the southwest portion of the building, which housed the kitchen, a storage area and the office. The building sustained extensive damage and was declared a total loss. Authorities said also nothing indicated the fire was suspicious in nature, but an investigation into the incident was ongoing.

Ernst’s Planned Parenthood ‘defunding’ bill fails to clear senate hurdle

News

August 4th, 2015 by Ric Hanson

Iowa Senator Joni Ernst’s bill to end federal funding for Planned Parenthood failed on procedural grounds Monday evening. Fifty-three senators voted to bring the bill up for consideration, but that was seven votes short of what was needed to overcome a filibuster by Democrats. Ernst says the undercover videos that sparked the effort are not going away.

“We are standing up and shining a light on what is really happening,” Ernst said during a speech on the Senate floor.

U-S Senator Joni Ernst (R-IA)

U-S Senator Joni Ernst (R-IA)

“This is human life and Planned Parenthood, nation’s single largest provider of abortion services, is harvesting baby body parts.” Republicans are now discussing the idea of trying again this fall and they may attach the Planned Parenthood “defunding” issue to a must-pass government spending bill.

“The American taxpayer should not be asked to fund an organization like Planned Parenthood that has shown a sheer disdain for human dignity and complete disregard for women and their babies,” Ernst said during remarks on the Senate floor. Senate Democratic Leader Harry Reid vows to block the effort

“Senate Democrats will fight vigorously this and any other attempt from Republicans to deprive American women of health care,” Reid said. Republicans in congress unsuccessfully tried four years ago to end federal funding for the reproductive health exams and birth control Planned Parenthood provides to low-income women.

This summer the organization has been exposed to new scrutiny after an anti-abortion group released a series of undercover videos and accused Planned Parenthood of profiting from the sale of fetal tissue. Planned Parenthood denies the charge. Planned Parenthood’s president says the American people have “zero appetite” for a G-O-P proposal that would “deny health care, including birth control,” to millions of women.

(Radio Iowa)

3 arrested on drug charges in Glenwood

News

August 4th, 2015 by Ric Hanson

Police in Glenwood said Monday, three people were arrested last week, on drug charges. 22-year old Alexander Morehead, of Plattsmouth, NE., Jessica Herrera, of Carter Lake, and 43-year old Janette Conn, of Glenwood, were each charged with Possession of Methamphetamine and Possession of Drug Paraphernalia.

Morehead was also charged with Unlawful Possession of a Prescription Drug and Possession of Marijuana. His bond was set at $3,300. Herrera faces an additional Controlled Substance Violation charge. Her bond was set at $11,300. And, Conn faces additional charges of Gathering where controlled substances are used, and Prohibited Acts. Her bond was set at $8,300.

Glenwood Police said also, 42-year old Ray Knipe, of Glenwood, was arrested July 26th, for Public Intoxication. Bond was set at $300. And, on July 27th, 26-year old Tyler Buckner, of Hastings, was arrested on a Pottawattamie County warrant for Failure to servce a jail sentence. No bond was set.

Landline 9-1-1 service restored in Cass & Montgomery Counties

News

August 4th, 2015 by Ric Hanson

Cass County 9-1-1 Director Rob Koppert reported late Monday evening that the landline 911 service outage that affected Griswold Telephone Company customers in the Griswold and Lewis exchanges late Monday morning, apparently has been corrected.Customers in Grant and Elliott were also affected.

Koppert said a fiber optic cable was cut along 620th Street between Atlantic and Lewis. He said he spoke with technicians from the Griswold Telephone Company late Monday afternoon, and they advised they would be making a series of test calls from each exchange. Those test calls have been completed, and landline 911 service appears to have been functioning normally. The outage did not affect cellular 911 service.