KJAN News

KJAN News can be heard:
Monday – Saturday at 6:30 am, 7:05 pm, 8:00 am, 9:00 am, 12:20 pm, 12:40 pm, 3:05 pm & 5:05 pm

Keep up-to-date with Fox News Radio, Radio Iowa,  Brownfield & the Iowa Agribusiness Networks!
Check our Program Schedule Page for times!

Home Ownership Contest plans to be announced

News

June 12th, 2012 by Ric Hanson

Officials with the Iowa Finance Authority (IFA) say the IFA and Southwest Iowa Association of Realtors, Key Real Estate and American National Bank, will announce later this (Tuesday) morning, plans to spur regional home sales through The Meaning of Homeownership Contest this summer. The contest is sponsored by the Iowa Finance Authority and the Iowa Association of Realtors in conjunction with lenders and Realtors throughout the state.

We’ll have more details after 10-a.m.

Iowa early News Headlines: Tue., June 12th 2012

News

June 12th, 2012 by Ric Hanson

Here is the latest Iowa news from The Associated Press

WASHINGTON (AP) — President Barack Obama is keeping track of Commerce Secretary John Bryson’s condition after the Obama cabinet member was involved in three minor accidents and was found unconscious in a car in San Gabriel, Calif. Obama tells television station KTIV in Sioux City, Iowa, that the incident appears to be health related and that he hopes Bryson is “doing all right.”

DES MOINES, Iowa (AP) — The continued hot and dry weather is taking a toll on Iowa’s crops. The U.S. Department of Agriculture says in yesterday’s weekly report that while most of the corn and soybeans are in good shape, conditions have declined. More than half of the topsoil and subsoil is dry.

SPENCER, Iowa (AP) — A 6-year-old boy who was unresponsive when pulled from a pool in northwest Iowa last week has died. Police say Michael Rohan died Sunday. He was found floating in the water at the Spencer Aquatic Center on Wednesday.

LINCOLN, Neb. (AP) — A federal report suggests Nebraska’s economy was sluggish last year despite increases in personal income and tax collections and a further drop in the state’s unemployment rate. The state was near the bottom of a Commerce Department report on the growth of gross domestic product in each state.

CCMH Staff prepare for move to new addition

News

June 11th, 2012 by Ric Hanson

Employees and staff at the Cass County Memorial Hospital in Atlantic are preparing for the first stage of their move to the newly completed addition. Officials say on Friday, June 15th, the Emergency Department (ED), Same Day Surgery Department, and Surgery Department will all relocate into their new quarters on the first floor of the addition.  The Inpatient Services located on the second floor are scheduled to move on Friday, June 29th. CCMH Administrator Pat Markham says they will be operating out of their old Emergency Department until the new area is fully operational.

Markham says when personnel are ready to move into the new Emergency Department, announcements will be made on the radio, the hospital’s website and on signs near the Emergency Department entrance. She says since the two entrances (old and new) are very close together, there shouldn’t be a whole lot of confusion on where to go. Patients coming to the new Emergency Department will still use the south ambulance drive.  The new ED Garage doors will open automatically when a vehicle approaches, and patients can enter from a door inside the garage.  Patients may also park outside the ED and enter on foot through the new ED entrance, which is to the right of the temporary ED entrance that has been in use for the past year.

Beginning Monday, June 18th, all scheduled surgery patients will register in the new ED Admissions, just inside the ED entrance, and utilize the new Same Day Surgery Department and operating rooms.  Markham says The procedure won’t really be different,”  than what’s been done in the past. She says they will simply be using the new facilities and equipment. Any patients or visitors who are unsure about how to access any hospital services during this transition are encouraged to call ahead for clarification, or ask any hospital staff member for assistance.

Foulkes’ trial continued until September

News

June 11th, 2012 by Ric Hanson

The trial for a former Anita Community School District teacher charged with sexual exploitation of a minor won’t take place until September. The trial for 65-year old William Glenn Foulkes had been scheduled to take place on July 10th, but during a Pre-Trial conference held today (Monday) in Atlantic, Judge Jeffrey Larson agreed to extend the date until September 25th, at 9:30 in the Cass County Courthouse. Cass County Attorney Dan Feistner said the extension allows attorney’s for both parties to continue any necessary review, preparation and discussions associated with the case.

Foulkes pled Not Guilty in March, to charges he sexually exploited a minor female over a period of 13-months. A former long-time Math teacher at the Anita High School, and Anita Elementary School, Foulkes was arrested March 15th on a felony warrant for Sexual Exploitation by a School Employee, and 49-Aggravated Misdemeanor counts of Sexual Exploitation by a School Employee. If convicted on all of the charges, he faces a maximum time of 103 years in prison and fines of more than $300,000. Foulkes resigned from his teaching position in November 2010. He’s accused of engaging in sexual conduct on numerous occasions with a minor female while teaching the student in a math program from August 2009 until November 11, 2010.

 

Update on Madison County Shooting: Son shoots father this morning

News

June 11th, 2012 by Ric Hanson

A DeSoto man is in custody, charged with willful injury in connection with a shooting this (Monday) morning, two-miles east of Earlham, in Madison County. The Des Moines Register reports sheriff’s officials arrested 22-year old Nicholas Clayton. He’s accused of shooting his father, 45-year old Howard Clayton, Jr., of Earlham. The incident was reported to authorities just before 5-a.m. Authorities arriving on the scene found Howard Clayton in the doorway of an outbuilding, adjacent to his residence. He was flown to a Des Moines hospital, but there’s no word on the extent of his injuries or current condition.

Nicholas Clayton was arrested a little over an hour later, after authorities executed a search warrant at a residence in DeSoto. He was being held in the Madison County Jail, with additional charges pending. If convicted on the Willful Injury charge, Nicholas Clayton could face up to 10-years in jail.

I-80 closure overnight Tue. & Wed. from Omaha into Council Bluffs

News

June 11th, 2012 by Ric Hanson

The Iowa Department of Transportation,  as a courtesy to the Nebraska Department of Roads has announced the Westbound Interstate 80 will be closed at midnight Tuesday, June 12th, until 5 a.m.-Wednesday, June 13th, at the I-80/I-29 interchange in Council Bluffs. The closure is necessary for sign maintenance. Travelers will follow a marked detour utilizing I-29 and I-480. Also on Tuesday evening, the 13th Street entrance and loop ramps to westbound I-80 will be closed beginning at 8 p.m. until 5 a.m. Wednesday morning, June 13. Both west- and eastbound I-80 will have lane closures between 13th and 20th streets in Omaha.

Arrest made in rural Madison County shooting

News

June 11th, 2012 by Ric Hanson

Authorities investigating a shooting early this (Monday) morning in rural Madison County, have made an arrest in connection with the case. According to KCCI-TV in Des Moines, the incident occurred just before 5-a.m.  Sheriff’s Officials say they received a 9-1-1 call from a woman who reported the shooting two-miles east of Earlham.

When authorities arrived on the scene, the found an adult male in the doorway of a building adjacent to the home. He had suffered a gunshot wound and was flown to a hospital in Des Moines. His name and a report on his condition have not been released.

A suspect in the shooting was arrested in Dallas County, a little over an hour later. His name has also not been released.

Cass County Saturday crash info. update

News

June 11th, 2012 by Ric Hanson

In an update to a story we first posted on kjan.com Saturday afternoon, the Cass County Sheriff’s Office says it was a Kimballton man and a two-year-old boy who were injured during a rollover accident on Highway 173. The crash occurred at around 3:25-p.m., about 2-miles north of the intersection with Highway 83. 

Sheriff Darby McLaren told KJAN News 34-year old Joshua Hemminger, of Kimballton, was travelling southbound on 173 when the 1999 Ford F-150 pickup he was driving went out of control. The vehicle entered the east ditch and rolled several times. 

Hemminger was flown by LifeNet helicopter to Creighton University Medical Center in Omaha. A report on his condition is not available, but dispatch reports following the crash indicated he suffered from some head and back trauma. The child was transported by Medivac Ambulance to the Cass County Memorial Hospital, where he was treated for his injuries and released.

Marne First Responders and officials with the Cass County Sheriff’s Department assisted with traffic control at the scene. Highway 173 was blocked to through traffic for nearly an hour.

Cass & Adair Supervisors to canvass election results

News

June 11th, 2012 by Ric Hanson

The Cass and Adair County Boards of Supervisors will meet Tuesday in Atlantic and Greenfield, respectively, to canvass the votes of last Tuesday’s Primary election. In Atlantic, the Board will gather at 1:30-p.m. in their boardroom at the Courthouse to conduct the canvass.

In Greenfield, the Adair County Supervisors will meet at 9:30-a.m. for their regular weekly session, during which they will receive the resignation of the County Veteran’s Affairs Director. A canvass of the votes will take place at 9:45. At 10:15-a.m. Tuesday, the Board in Adair County will hear a report from the General Relief Coordinator with regard to General Relief and an Emergency backup. And, at around 10:30-a.m., they’ll hear from V-A Administrator Donna Bittner, with regard to Perpetual Care of Catholic Cemeteries.

Trailer reported stolen from rural Red Oak

News

June 11th, 2012 by Ric Hanson

The Montgomery County Sheriff’s Department is asking for your help in locating a trailer reported stolen over the weekend from a residence in rural Red Oak. The owner reported to authorities the 2004, red H&H two-wheel trailer was missing from their property on Ironwood Avenue, at around 3:10-p.m., Sunday. They believe it was taken sometime between the hours of 10:30-a.m. and 3-p.m. If you have any information on the location of the trailer, or who may have taken it, call the Montgomery County Sherif’f’s Office or Montgomery County Crimestoppers.