KJAN News

KJAN News can be heard:
Monday – Saturday at 6:30 am, 7:05 pm, 8:00 am, 9:00 am, 12:20 pm, 12:40 pm, 3:05 pm & 5:05 pm

Keep up-to-date with Fox News Radio, Radio Iowa,  Brownfield & the Iowa Agribusiness Networks!
Check our Program Schedule Page for times!

HMA Street project work in Atlantic delayed until Monday

News

October 27th, 2011 by Ric Hanson

Residents of Atlantic now have until Monday, October 31st, before they need to adjust their parking habits for a couple of days. Dave Sturm, with Snyder and Associates Engineers in Atlantic, says the milling and paving crew which had been scheduled to begin a Hot Melt Asphalt Paving and Storm Sewer Project on Friday, is unable to start the project until Monday. The work had been scheduled to take place Friday and Saturday, and would have required residents to remove their vehicles from certain streets so the paving equipment may operate uninterrupted.

Because of the unexpected delay, construction begin Monday, on the following streets…

1. 13th Street between Chestnut Street and Elm Street.
2. Poplar Street between 8th Street and 10th Street.
3. Walnut Street between 8th Street and 10th Street.
4. Redwood Drive between 14th Street and 17th Street.

Vehicles will have to be off of those streets Monday and Tuesday of next week. If you have any questions or concerns, please contact Dave Sturm at 243-6505.

8AM Newscast 10-27-2011

News, Podcasts

October 27th, 2011 by Chris Parks

w/ Ric Hanson

Play

Residents in 5 W. IA Counties are Eligible to Apply for Disaster Unemployment Insurance Benefits

News

October 27th, 2011 by Ric Hanson

An official with Iowa Workforce Development says Iowans living or working in Fremont, Harrison, Mills, Monona and Pottawattamie counties, which were recently declared disaster areas, may be eligible for unemployment insurance benefits under the federal Disaster Unemployment Assistance (DUA) program. The federal government declared the five counties as a weather-related disaster area eligible for individual assistance, in October for flooding.

Teresa Wahlert, director of Iowa Workforce Development, says residents who live or work in the five counties and have lost their job due to the summer flooding, should apply for the federal benefits. She says claims need to be filed no later November 28th.

The benefits cover self-employed workers not usually entitled to unemployment insurance, including Iowa farmers. People applying for DUA need to provide proof of past earnings, such as business records or bank statements and their most recent income tax form, at the time they file their claim. Any IowaWORKS Center can accept DUA claims, including the office in Council Bluffs, located at 300 West Broadway Street, Suite 13. Hours of operation are from 8-a.m. to 4:30-p.m., Monday through Thursday, and from 9-a.m. to 4:30-p.m. on Friday. The number to call is 712-242-2100.

In addition, individuals can file a regular unemployment claim online at www.iowaworkforce.org and include “DUA Claim” in the notes section. Wahlert says IowaWORKS Centers also offer reemployment services, including testing, counseling and placement. Job search and career information also is available through Iowa Workforce Development’s Web site at www.iowaworkforce.org.

Motorcycle clocked at nearly 100-mph in Audubon County

News

October 27th, 2011 by Ric Hanson

A high speed chase that began at around 11-a.m. Wednesday in Audubon County ended with an Omaha man being arrested without further incident. The Audubon County Sheriff’s Department says 35-year old Patrick Eugene Petersen, of Omaha, was charged with Eluding, Failure to have a driver’s license and insurance, and speeding. 

Peterson was pursued by Audubon County Sheriff’s Deputies after the motorycle he was riding was clocked at speeds ranging from 90-to 100-miles per hour. The pursuit started on the west side of Kimballton and continued along Highway 44 about 8-to 10-miles into Shelby County, before Petersen pulled over and was taken into custody.

He was being held in the Audubon County Jail on $2,000 bond.

Police: DNA links Omaha man to 2001 Iowa rape case

News

October 27th, 2011 by Ric Hanson

COUNCIL BLUFFS, Iowa (AP) – Authorities say a national DNA database listing from Nebraska has led to an arrest in a 2001 rape case in Council Bluffs. Online court records say 50-year-old Mark Sands faces seven charges, including sexual abuse, kidnapping and burglary. His trial is scheduled to begin on Nov. 15th.

His attorney, Joe Reedy said that Sands is “absolutely innocent” and has pleaded not guilty. Pottawattamie County prosecutors say the FBI’s Combined DNA Index System – CODIS – helped identify Sands, a registered sex offender from a separate case. Nebraska records say Sands was living in Omaha, Neb. Police say a Council Bluffs woman reported in October 2001 that a stranger raped her for hours and tied up her disabled daughter at their home.

Traffic stop in Council Bluffs nets 226-pounds of Pot

News

October 27th, 2011 by Ric Hanson

Sheriff’s officials in Pottawattamie County say a traffic stop late Wednesday morning on Interstate 80 in Council Bluffs, resulted in 226-pounds of Marijuana being seized from the vehicle, and the driver placed under arrest.

Authorities say Deputy Brian Miller pulled over a pickup truck with out-of-state license plates on I-80 eastbound, at the 9-mile marker, or at about the Highway 6 interchange. The traffic stop took place at around 11:24-a.m. A search of the vehicle resulted in the discovery of controlled substance. The lone male occupant of the vehicle was arrested.

No other details are being released about the suspect or the drug bust, at this time.

7AM Newscast 10-27-2011

News, Podcasts

October 27th, 2011 by Chris Parks

w/ Ric Hanson

Play

Disturbance leads to arrest in Red Oak

News

October 27th, 2011 by Ric Hanson

Police in Red Oak say one-person was being held in the Montgomery County jail this (Thursday) morning, following a disturbance Wednesday afternoon  25-year-old Nathan Al Ward, Jr., of Red Oak, was taken into custody at around 3-p.m., for disturbing the peace, and for allegedly displaying a dangerous weapon in the courtyard of a housing complex located on East Summit Street, in Red Oak.

Ward was charged with Breach of Peace and Aggravated Assault. His bond was set at $2,300.

Iowa farmer not happy with Corps 2012 Missouri River plan

News

October 27th, 2011 by Ric Hanson

The U-S Army Corps of Engineers has been holding meetings up and down the Missouri River to discuss 2011 flooding problems and its plans for 2012. Percival, Iowa farmer Leo Ettleman, is also a spokesman for a coalition called “Responsible River Management.” Ettleman describes the meetings as “frustrating,” and says while the Corps is listening, they aren’t planning any changes.  He says the Corps looks at 2008 at a “500-year event” and they have no reason to change their management plans over one such event, so he says they will manage the river in 2012 like they have in the past. Ettleman says any changes to the Corps’ Missouri River operating plan will have to come from Congress.

Ettleman says that means there is no funding in the plan for flood recovery to build the levees back to the 100-year protection that they were. Ettleman lost two-thirds of his 23-hundred row crop acres to the flooding in 2011. He says it has left a tremendous amount of debris and sand deposits on his land. “We have sand deposits probably, anywhere from two foot to four foot deep, just waves of sand.. scour holes, we have scour holes anywhere from two foot to five foot deep, it’s tremendous,” Ettleman says. Ettleman is concerned about a repeat of the flooding problems in 2012.

He says they are going into spring with a 25-year protection levee, if it gets finished,by spring, and “we’re going to be extremely vulnerable in 2012 and perhaps even beyond, it depends on when the funding comes in.” Ettleman says because the number of people directly affected by the flooding is relatively small, it has been a challenge to make their voices heard.

(Dar Danielson/Radio Iowa)

State Patrol ID’s Shelby County Crash victims

News

October 26th, 2011 by Ric Hanson

Scene of Wednesday's fatal crash (Photo Credit: Harlan Tribune)

(final update 3:45-p.m. Wed.)  The Iowa State Patrol has released the names of the victims who died Wednesday morning in a crash about four-miles south of Harlan, on Highway 59. They were identified as 68-year old Marcella and 71-year old Robert Schwery, both of Panama, and 26-year old Christina Cotant, of Avoca. The Patrol says a 1999 Cadillac Deville driven by Marcella Schwery was traveling south on Highway 59 at around 10:20-a.m., when the vehicle went around a State Patrol cruiser, which was parked on the shoulder of the road. Schwery’s car crossed the center line of the road and collided head-on with a northbound 2008 Ford Escape, driven by Cotant.

After the impact, the Cadillac spun around and collided with an unoccupied 2008 Ford Crown Victoria State Patrol cruiser. The troopers had been in the process of working a traffic stop, their vehicles’ emergency lights on, when the crash occurred. Officials say after the crash, the SUV entered the east ditch. Neither of the troopers, nor those in the vehicle they stopped, were injured.

The Patrol says all of the crash three victims died at the scene. Marcella Schwery and Christina Cotant were wearing their seatbelts, but Robert Schwery was not.