Fire in Griswold Sunday afternoon

News

March 16th, 2014 by Ric Hanson

(Updated 7:14-p.m.)

Firefighters from Griswold responded to a fire at the home of one of their own members, Sunday afternoon. A neighbor reported seeing smoke coming from the Josh and Megan Chambers residence at 308 5th Street, at around 1:40-p.m. Griswold Assistant Fire Chief Kevin Carlisle told KJAN News the fire started in a bathroom exhaust fan and spread to the roof. No one was home at the time, but 2 hamsters and a cat were rescued. A section of the roof sustained extensive damage, while the rest of the home sustained some smoke and water damage. The couple was staying with family in the area following the blaze. Firefighters were on the scene for about 3 1/2 hours. No injuries were reported.

Griswold Rescue, deputies with the Cass County Sheriff’s Office, Cass County Emergency Management and the American Red Cross also responded to the scene.

Photo courtesy Mike Kennon, Cass Co. Emergency Management Coordinator

Photo courtesy Mike Kennon, Cass Co. Emergency Management Coordinator