Cass County Soldiers Monument Rededication
July 13th, 2013 by Ric Hanson
A ceremony held Saturday afternoon in the Atlantic City Park for the re-dedication of a Soldiers Monument began with a a loud boom.
The sound of a replica, miniature canon built by Atlantic’s Steve Livengood echoed through the downtown area, and was one of many, similar events held throughout the country in commemoration of the Sesquicentennial (150th Anniversary), of the American Civil War, which was fought from 1861 to 1865. The original dedication ceremony for the monument in Atlantic was held 94 years ago, on July 10th, 1919. It’s dedicated to the memory of those who fought in the Mexican, Civil, and Spanish-American Wars.
Helping to commemorate the ceremony in Atlantic were members of the Col. William H. Kinsman Camp 23, Sons of Union Veterans of the Civil War, Uniformed Group, Company B, 10th Iowa Volunteer Infantry. American Legion Post 43 and VFW members were also on hand to provide a 21-gun salute.
Dave Hancock, of Atlantic, was Master of Ceremonies for the event. His great grandfather is among the 640 veterans whose name is listed among the plaques surrounding the monument’s base.
Hancock said it was in the memory of his great-grandfather and all those who lost their lives in the war, that the re-dedication took place. Also speaking at the event was Atlantic Mayor Dave Jones, Mark Wedemeyer, Chair of the Cass County Board of Supervisors, and Atlantic City Councilman Steve Livengood, who also provided a history of the monument from its inception, up to and including a recent renovation. It began with a petition with 141 names which was presented before the Supervisors in 1915.
The monument cost a total of around $26,916, which includes an architects fee and a little more than $3,000 for the foundation, which is 22-square feet wide at the top, 26-square feet wide at the bottom, and 10-feet deep. It’s made up of concrete, reinforced steel, cement, sand and crushed stone. The entire monument is 62-feet 10-inches tall.
Livengood became involved in the restoration of the monument a few years ago, when a citizen asked about a missing shield on the Lady Liberty statue which rests atop the monument.
The shield had fallen off and was being stored in a Parks and Rec building.As the Council’s liaison to the Park Board, Livengood began the process of finding someone to repair the statue. It was repaired by Steve Nelson, of Nelson Machine and Forge, in Marne. The re-dedication was preceded by a bugler calling soldiers to Assembly.
Cass County Supervisor Mark Wedemeyer made official, the re-dedication, which concluded with the placing of colors, the Pledge of Allegiance, the setting of a Civil War soldiers’ field pack, wreath and flag at the base of the monument, a performance of TAPS, and a 21-gun salute.