Iowa officials remind residents on propane safety
December 28th, 2012 by Ric Hanson
DES MOINES, Iowa (AP) — Iowa officials are reminding residents to be careful about using propane when generating heat or running appliances during the winter. The state Department of Public Safety says people should have a qualified technician inspect their propane system. Officials also warn people to avoid using a stove for space heating, and suggest not using outdoor propane appliances inside. Officials say this is especially critical during a power outage because of possible carbon monoxide poisoning.
Officials also recommend people take immediate action if they suspect a gas leak. That includes avoiding any flames or sparks, turning off the main supply valve on a propane tank, and leaving the area immediately.