CB Gas Leak Causes Brief Evacuation
July 20th, 2012 by Doug Evans
A gas leak in Council Bluffs Thursday led to a brief evacuation of the area.
The Omaha World Herald reports firefighters were called to the East Pierce Street and Kimball Avenue area Thursday at about 3:15 PM where Black Hills Energy crews were already on the scene.
Council Bluffs Assistant Fire Chief Matt Thomas tells the World Herald that Black Hills Energy crews were doing work on East Pierce and they may have severed a 2 inch gas pipe. He says traffic was stopped on East Pierce and Kimball for a short period while authorities checked gas levels in the area. He says they also evacuated a few homes in the area, but did not evacuate Jennie Edmundson Hospital or Mercy Hospital where people reported smelling gas. Black Hills personnel were already on the scene at those hospitals making sure there weren’t problems according to Thomas.
The World Herald says Black Hills Energy stopped the leak by about 3:35 PM.