No cause determined for fire in pile of donated goods in Atlantic

News

November 7th, 2011 by Ric Hanson

A fire outside of the Salvation Army Thrift Store in Atlantic early this (Monday) morning sent flames shooting above the roof of the building, and destroyed numerous items left for donation in and near a drop box. Atlantic Fire Chief Mark McNees said a newspaper carrier reported the fire near the west side of the building located at 716 West 7th Street, at around 2:30-a.m. McNees says there were numerous items piled outside the building during the day, Sunday, including 4 or 5 mattress and box-spring sets, furniture, children’s toys, and clothing. No damage was reported to the building itself. He says the fire was investigated this morning by himself and Atlantic Police Officer Paul Woods. He says it appears the fire was accidental in nature and may have been smoldering for quite some time.

He says a second eyewitness confirmed the belief the fire was accidental. McNees says firefighters knocked down the flames quickly. They were on the scene for about 30-minutes. No injuries were reported.