Fire destroys machine shed in rural Atlantic this morning

News

November 1st, 2011 by Ric Hanson

(5:00-a.m.) In an update to a story posted earlier this morning: A smoldering  ember from a controlled burn was the apparent cause of a fire early this (Monday) morning about four-miles west of Atlantic, that destroyed a machine shed on the Dave and Lynn Eckles farm  The fire at 57899 Indian Creek Street was reported by Lynn Eckles at around 2:25-a.m.

Atlantic Fire Chief Mark McNees told KJAN News the structure, which was basically a pole barn with metal sides, formerly used as a hog farrowing house, was fully engulfed in flames when firefighters arrived. The structure was close to three, nearby, recently filled propane tanks, so that was a concern as crews sought to keep the flames from spreading.

McNees said the Eckles’ had conducted a controlled burning of leaves in a grated pit area on Monday afternoon. It appears a spark from the fire made it’s way into another pile near the building and smoldered for some time, before erupting in flames. He declared the fire accidental in nature. No injuries were reported. Firefighters were on the scene for a little over two-hours. A dollar amount of the damage is not currently available, but McNees said there wasn’t much in the building that was lost.