Cyclone Women Open Season Hosting Houston Baptist
November 9th, 2011 by Jim Field
AMES, Iowa – The Iowa State women’s basketball team opens regular season play Friday night when it hosts Houston Baptist at Hilton Coliseum. Tipoff is scheduled for 7 p.m.
Who: Iowa State vs. Houston Baptist
Where: Ames, Iowa – Hilton Coliseum
When: Friday, Nov. 11, 7 p.m.
Radio: Cyclone Radio Network/Learfield
Talent: Rich Fellingham (PxP), Molly Parrott (Color)
Webcast: Clone Zone
Live Stats: Live stats will be available at cyclones.com.
Live Blog: Matt Shoultz, assistant director of athletics communications, will be holding a live blog during the game at cyclones.com. Fans are encouraged to participate in the blog by asking questions.
- Iowa State opens its 39th season of play Friday evening when it hosts Houston Baptist at Hilton Coliseum at 7 p.m.
- The Cyclones will drop their 2010-11 NCAA Tournament banner prior to the game.
- Iowa State has won 16-straight season openers dating back to head coach Bill Fennelly’s first season in Ames. ISU is 30-8 all-time in season openers. During the Fennelly era, the Cyclones have won their opening game by an average of 25.1 points.
- Iowa State has an all-time record of 591-513 (.535), including 354-160 (.689) under the direction of Fennelly.
- The Cyclones won exhibition contests against Coe College and Rockhurst by an average of 52 points per game. The Cyclones shot 46.9 percent from the field and 38.2 percent from 3-point range.
- Junior forward Chelsea Poppens led the Cyclones averaging 15.5 points in the two exhibition games. Hallie Christofferson (11.5), Anna Prins (11.0) and Kelsey Harris (10.0) were also in double figures.
- Iowa State’s returning players have combined to start 190 career games. The junior class is led by Chelsea Poppens and Anna Prins, both of which have scored over 500 career points and grabbed over 200 rebounds.
- Iowa State and Houston Baptist are meeting for the first time. HBU is in its first year as a full Division I member after reclassifying in 2007.
- The Cyclones are 11-4 all-time against teams from the Great West Conference. The last meeting against a Great West team was in 2010-11 when ISU beat Chicago State, 62-48, at Hilton Coliseum.
- Junior center Anna Prins will miss at least two weeks after undergoing a scope for a sore right knee Tuesday, Nov. 8.
- Iowa State has made at least one three-pointer in an NCAA record 517 consecutive games, a streak that dates back to 1995. The Cyclones set the record against Texas on Feb. 21, 2011.
The last time the Cyclones didn’t hit a 3-pointer was on Feb. 15, 1995 against Missouri. That was the season before Fennelly was hired as head coach of the Cyclones.
Nonconference Home Success
- The Cyclones have gone undefeated at home during the nonconference portion of the schedule for six consecutive seasons and have won 58 straight regular-season nonconference contests at Hilton Coliseum. The Cyclones have not lost a regular-season nonconference home game since the 2003-04 season (Washington).
For more news and notes on Iowa State women’s basketball follow us on twitter (@CycloneWBB).
(ISU press release)