Iowa DOT closing I-29/680 interchange near Loveland at 6 p.m. today
June 13th, 2011 by Ric Hanson
AMES, Iowa – June 13, 2011; 3 p.m. – The Iowa Department of Transportation (DOT) is
reporting that it will be closing the Interstate 29/680 interchange near Loveland at
6 p.m. today.
This will result in closures being placed at the following locations.
· I-680 west- and eastbound from milepost 21 near Beebeetown
(Pottawattamie/Harrison County Road L-34) to the I-29/680 interchange (milepost 71
· I-29 south- and northbound lanes from the I-29/680 interchange to the
I-29/U.S. 30 interchange (milepost 75 near Missouri Valley).
Local and I-29 regional corridor traffic (Iowa, Missouri, Nebraska, South Dakota)
· Follow the posted local detours or call the Iowa DOT’s flood hotline at
1-866-452-8510 from 7 a.m. to 9 p.m. daily for personal traveler assistance.
· After hours, call 511 (in Iowa) or 800-288-1047 (out of state) for a
recorded message of closed roads.
· View the flooded Iowa roads map for road closures, detours and areas at
risk of flooding - http://tinyurl.com/3o2mtlp
National interstate travelers
For interstate travelers planning to use I-29 simply to travel through Iowa, the
Iowa DOT suggests selection of an interstate route that avoids the flood-warned area
along the Missouri River corridor entirely. Travelers can utilize any of the other
interstate routes that remain available.
Interstate routes not expected to be impacted by flood waters:
· I-80 from east to west across the entire state
· I-35 from north to south across the entire state
· I-235 in Des Moines metro area
· I-380 from Iowa City to Waterloo
· I-74 and I-280 in the Quad Cities
· I-480 bridge between Council Bluffs and Omaha
I-29 remains vulnerable to additional closures due to the flooding. After the
I-29/680 interchange is closed, I-29 will be closed from milepost 55 in Council
Bluffs to milepost 75 near Missouri Valley.