Lavon and Miss NiNi talk about using fresh raspberries.
FRESH RASPBERRY BUTTERMILK CAKE—adapted from chocolatechocolateandmore.com
- 4 ounces (1 stick) unsalted butter, room temperature
- 1-1/2 c. all-purpose flour
- 1-1/4 t. baking powder
- ½ t. salt
- 1 c. plus 3 T. granulated sugar, divided
- 1 t. vanilla extract
- ½ t. raspberry emulsion (optional)
- 2 large eggs
- ¾ c. buttermilk (Make your own by putting a shy teaspoonful of vinegar into a glass measuring cup and adding enough milk to make ¾ c. sour milk/buttermilk.)
- 1-1/2 c. fresh raspberries OR 1 c. fresh raspberries and ½ c. pomegranate infused frozen cranberries, thawed
- Coarse white sugar crystals for sprinkling on top of cake (optional)
Preheat oven to 400 degrees Fahrenheit. Prepare 8” x 8” round cake pan by putting a parchment circle in the bottom of pan. Spray sides of pan and parchment circle with baking nonstick spray with flour. Set aside.
In medium bowl, whisk together flour, baking powder, and salt.
Place butter in a large mixing bowl. Turn mixer on low, gradually add 1 c. sugar. Cream on medium-high speed until pale and fluffy, stopping to scrape down sides with a silicone spatula, 3-4 minutes.
Add vanilla and raspberry emulsion.
Add eggs one at a time, fully incorporating the first egg before adding the next.
At low speed, add flour mixture in 3 batches, alternating with buttermilk, beginning and ending with four, and mixing until just combined. Spoon batter into cake pan, smoothing top.
In a small bowl, gently toss raspberries and cranberries with remaining 3 T. sugar. Evenly distribute berries over top of cake, pushing some down into batter. Sprinkle sugar crystals over the top.
Bake until cake is golden and tester inserted into center comes out clean, about 30-35 minutes.
Cool cake in pan for 10-15 minutes and turn out to wire rack. Remove parchment paper from bottom of cake. Turn cake over to cool further. Just before serving, sprinkle top with powdered sugar.
Yields: About 8 servings.
Podcast: Play in new window | Download (6.9MB)
Subscribe: iTunes | Android |